M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more Question,

I'm very close to having LBR Build me a M25 rear lugger, glass bedded Heavy Criterion Barrel, with NM spring guide rifle and a unitized gas system, with a sadlak coated piston. I have an opportunity to buy a Springfield Super match. Both would be in a walnut stock, I know fibergalss is better, but I like walnut. Which is better? Pros and cons?

I'm a finicky shopper so I've been posting a lot these days. Thanks for the help. The Norinco is out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you mean LRB arms. They make a great firearm. my neighbor bought one a year ago. He's not into shooting it much so I cant tell you performance numbers. I own a Sprinfield armory NM stainless model. I bought it new just last year. It needed quite a bit of gunsmithing to get it up to par. The op rod was nicked up, it "double fired" frequently (a trigger group problem), the handguard was too long and the gas system needed shims making the groups string after the barrel warmed up. (I personally know of 2 SA NM rifles that had this same problem. I replaced alot of the components with USGI and had them fitted to my rifle. (I used components from LRB arms) Now I couldn't be happier. 3/8 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards scoped from the bench. I have heard worse horror stories about some Springfield super match rifles. Things like barrels loctited into recievers but still loose. Or rear sights that move on their own. I think I got off easy. Springfield does a pretty good bedding job on their rifles though. And maybe others will chime in who have had success with the new Springfields

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I mean LRB arms. THe M25 also has the integral scope mounts for their scope rail. This surely will add in accuracy. Plus LRB arms is a much smaller company that will, from what I hear, put more care into the assembly of a custom rifle.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
SA vs Custom

For the price, Springfield builds a pretty good heavy match rifle in their Super Match. However, they don't give you many options.

LRB Arms can build you a good rifle. Until recently, they did not have the ability to supply rifles with all the match modifications. I don't know if they are doing all the mods in house, but what they do supply is high quality.

The advantage of going with a custom builder is that you get to choose which options go into your rifle. LRB and any of several custom builders can give you many choices. The only down side is cost. You get what you pay for, but it will cost more than Springfield's homoginated rifles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ted. I'm going with LRB arms. For the extra money I will have an excellent rifle I won't sit around thinking about how to modify it. It will be exactly what I want. Plus that M25 rear lugged receiver is exceptional.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Have a sai m21 and five LRB rifle three m25's I bought the m21 first and built all the lrb's myself. If I had to do it all over again I would have just started with LRB. Unfortunately I joined the forum after I bought the m21. I've had my problems with the m21 and can't only contribute it to the commercial parts. It shoots great due to the configuration it has the same barrel as my lrb's. I don't mean to bust your bubble but I don't think either company can send across to the great white north

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't mean to bust your bubble but I don't think either company can send across to the great white north
yup we can do it just have to jump a few hoops with the export an import paperwork an a few added costs an wait time but it can be done no problem with either outfit.I am in on the list for the LRB group buy myself as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup we can do it just have to jump a few hoops with the export an import paperwork an a few added costs an wait time but it can be done no problem with either outfit.I am in on the list for the LRB group buy myself as well.

Cheers
I'm now on the list too. After thinking about the import costs, its worth it. This rifle will be around for a long time and is better than building off a Norinco receiver or paying for a Springfield.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
No doubt you gents are going to love your 25's. The integral rail is IMHO the most ingenious mods for the platform. If you can swing it financially you may want to consider a stock with a integral cheek riser or add one on to your existing stock. I used a McMillan m3a adj for one and plan on purchasing a McMillan m2a for the action I'm working on now. Sai will also sell you the m21 stock if you want to use wood, this is also a very nice stock and not as pricey as the Mac stocks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Velcro check piece that I will put on the stock for better check weld. I have a springfield M1A loaded in a JAE-ALLEN G2 stock now. The stock really didn't do much to improve the accuracy of the rifle, even with barrel tensioner. After shooting the rifle in this stock for some time I have mixed feelings over wether it was worth the money, and the weight is almost ridiculous. I miss the traditional look of the M14 platform. This is definitely gone with the JAE-ALLEN. The M25 is going to be glass bedded in a walnut stock. With the check piece and the integral rail it will shoot just fine.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes, indeed, good luck with your project. When you are spending those kind of pesos for either rifle, the real question now becomes what can the person behind the stock do with with the platform? Putting a scope on it and shooting at 100 yards is great if that's all we have. I've been there myself. But now I feel that the real testing is on the shooter. These rifle have proven themselves for decades now. I don't own any LRB products, just 2 rifles from Springfield Armory. Both hold the 10 ring easily at the long line as long as I do my part. Just as you would test drive a car, try to shoot at greater distances with these rifles and see how things shake out for you. Either way, I bet you'll be happy dappy! Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

P.S. How long has the Stanley Cup been in the US?GI5

·
Registered
334 Posts
M1A Supermatch is okay in my score book!

I've noticed there is a lot of hearsay with the M14-M1A. Hear are some of my honest results and oppinions. I did very well at Camp Perry (the test grounds) in the NRA M1A match (2010) with a "factory" SAI Supermatch. My friend has 16 EIC LEG points with his loaded SAI. I have not seen anything other then a SAI on the line with respectable scores. I cant find one reason not to buy a Springfield (other then you already have one and want to try something else). Springfield will almost take back anything for service issues and fix it usually free of charge. BRSTBOMB

·
Registered
30 Posts
I cant find one reason not to buy a Springfield (other then you already have one and want to try something else). BRSTBOMB
Thats my case already got 2 mildly modded Norcs , 4 highly modded norcs an 2 springers.Now just the wait for the LRB hehe then maybe.............. well who knows what later will bring lol

Cheers

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
I have both and love em just the same I did not see where anyone said anything was wrong with sai rifles. I can say this much after I built my first LRB I racked the action no grease. It was smoother then my sai sm with grease. I can't explain the difference but it's there. Both my sai sm and my LRB shoot the same with great results. I think a lot of the accuracy comes from the fact that I have Krieger heavy barrels on all of them. Just would have gone with the LRB as a first choice had I know about them. Nothing wrong with the sai sm rifles just a lite different beast than the LRB. I'm sure both will last for generations to come.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I have an LRB in a JAE stock with most options. One thing I say is, it's nice to know when there's a problem, the problem is me. I don't think I will ever shoot as well as the gun does and that's a nice feeling. But it is insanely heavy (JAE stock mostly to blame).

But one thing I want to chime in about. My father, who was a ballistics engineer for the Navy for his whole life, said there are really two components that affect the accuracy of a gun more than anything: the barrel and the bullet.

People forget the 2nd one a lot. If you take the greatest gun in the world and you put a junky cartridge/bullet in it, it's going to be inaccurate. A gun is just a fancy human interface for that bullet.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree. What I do before and during the time I pull the trigger determines if I'm allowing the rifle to shoot it's best. I feel the fiberglass stock the M1A came with, which is now glass bedded, allowed me to shoot jus as well as the Jae 100 g2 did. I've got the fiberglass stock back on and I'm doing just fine with it. Not to knock the quality of the Jae 100 G2, it is a great stock, maybe just not for me. I'm going to maybe sell it and put the money towards the new LRB.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I purchased a springfield armory supermatch. It was built in 1980 per serial #. I got it cheap as owner didn,t know what he had. It has a krieger barrel heavier than std.front ferral has a smily face but doesn,t appear to be bedded.Has a walnut stock. When i got it it had a broken oprod. springfield replaced the rod @ the bolt free. but they want 180.00 to glassbed it they claimed supermatches weren,t bedded in 1980?I may have it redone later .right now i am playing with a polytech.trw bolt @ nmflashhidertrw welded gas system krieger garand sightsrear nmfront frontferral relieved garand hammer @ sear @ pins replaced . Have shot neither! I should be hung!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts