M14 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,181 Posts
This is an interesting observation, I'm glad this got resurrected as I missed it the first time around.

My black Miss September M14OTM s/n 129,xxx has the angled spring, my other green J.A.E.-100 M14OTM s/n 145,xxx is dead "nuts" even. Weird as there is not a bunch of time between the receivers.
m14brian

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
All the documents I've seen, indicate the spring hole for the bolt lock, is supposed to be CENTERED BETWEEN THE EARS. And the spring hole is supposed to be straight down.

http://users.nikealaska.org/~sustinemus/M14Receiver_Prints.pdf

The new Fulton I just got is that way - and the spring hole is straight down at a 90 degree plane to the surface of the receiver at the bolt stop.

Now, I'm not talking my Super apart to see - but the photo is of my '97 - with SEI extended bolt stop.

Pretty much - if the spring maintains the stop centered between the bosses, and doesn't "bunch or bind" when the lock is depressed - it should function OK.

Now - is yours 100% CORRECT TO PRINTS?

Probably not.

Is SAI going to replace it (the receiver) under warranty?

Again - probably not, unless your bolt stop is MALFUNCTIONING.

Rick
The recess for the bolt stop spring is not perfectly centered between the ears or the opening. Measuring off the front face of the receiver, the center of the ears is at 3.783" and the hole is at 3.7795", .0035" forward of center. The hole in the bolt stop is also 0.001" off-center. The hole in the receiver is not centered because the spring hole is supposed to be biased to the front of the ears, and the bolt stop when pushed fully forward in the ears by the bolt, have a slight spring bias to spring back when the bolt force is released.

The hole in the bolt stop is not perfectly centered, as you have to define locations from real surfaces, not theoretical centerlines.

Big Picture
The problem here appears to be the bolt stop is too narrow or the distance between the ears too wide. The original design had a maximum clearance of .037" between the length of the stop and the width between the ears

·
Registered
91 Posts
My new Socom16 is cut wonky, my first one seems more straight up and down. Lack of QC on SAI part, they need to check their CNC for this one.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
corners will be cut when making a cheaper m14 type rifle. As long as the end result is safe and reliable is what matters most. Now if I paid LRB prices and got SAI quality, I would not be happy and would not accept it. To this day, my SAI M21 has not had one jam or hiccup and has been superbly accurate, so I can overlook a minor flaw .
That said, I will not be buying another sai product.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts