M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at this spotting scope I'm going to call vortex and have them talk to me about spotting scopes because i basically know nothing about them so if i don't know what your talking about please forgive me.

Im looking at this spotting scope, will it allow me to see bullet trace, I'm looking for something that has a mil type reticle. I know glass is the most important thing in buying a spotting scope. what will this spotter allow me to be able to do. I really can't afford a pricey spotter. Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 how far will i be able to see bullet trace 1500 yards that was what i was thinking.

Also my last question is this, i have a SWFA 10x42 HD scope i purchased it because i felt that it was GOOD ENOUGH and the price. Im all about things being GOOD ENOUGH. Honestly i think people put to much effort into getting the very best I'm not that way.

This leads me into my next question, is there a spotting scope with a fixed power that works GOOD ENOUGH and has high quality glass with a reticle. Can i get more bang for my buck on something like this. Guys I'm not retired have a pregnant wife so recommending scopes above 1k is no way.

thanks fellas

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The Konus Konuspot 80 is a great scope for the $200ish price tag... see them all the time on the firing line at matches. Yes, the Kowa's are better, but I guess your pocketbook will get a vote as well.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I don't know of any spotting scopes that have a reticle.

Most good quality spotting scopes will allow you to reliably see bullet holes 'in the white' at 200 yards, seeing holes 'in the black' depends very much on weather conditions. Seeing holes at 300 is iffy, and depends heavily on weather conditions.

I've used a Konus 80mm 20-60X with angled eyepiece for about 10 years, and can see trace at LR with it. The optics are good, but it's not as ruggedly built as a similar Kowa.

Seeing trace all the way to the target at LR is probably not realistic.
I'm familiar with coaches spotting trace at known-distance targets to get the shooter 'on paper'. Not for making small sight changes for a precise shot. Using a spotting scope to see 'dirt impacts' at LR might be possible.

The method for 'getting on paper' is mostly seeing the trace at the peek of the bullet's trajectory, and from experience knowing whether it's too high or low, and whether the windage looks OK.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
You'll need to go to that "snipers-hide" forum to ask about mildot spotters. There might be one or two shooters here that use them, but seems to be a common topic of discussion at that other forum.

·
Registered
538 Posts
A $1000 budget will get you a nice scope and tripod.
I will say my budget spotting scope does well at 300yds, but falls flat on its face when light is diminished. Going from a sunny range to a wooded shooting lane makes a big difference.
Sorry, no real suggestions, but with glass you definitely get what you pay for.
Mine works for me, it's good enough. But the difference between budget and high end glass is obvious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.