M14 Forum banner

Spotting scopes

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Eagle7840 
#1 ·
This weekend I finally decided on the Redfield Rampage with the 80 objective lens after comparing it to the selections available at the Sportsman's Guide where I work. I compared it to the Leatherwood Hi-lux and Vortex Viper and the Redfield beat them hands down for a spotting scope for under $500 in my opinion. The Hi-Lux seemed impressive with its HD lenses but just wasn't as defined and bright as the Redfield and was very cheaply made including the tripod. The Vortex is nicely made but at $500 which didn't include a tripod still wasn't as sharp as the Redfield when turning up the magnification.

Reactions: JoshN
#4 ·
#8 ·
I would highly recommend looking at Pentax spotting scopes for a high value product at a reasonable price. I'm using a 65mm Pentax with ED glass and I have no problems seeing spotters out at 600 yards. Pentax scopes are set up to use a standard 1 1/4" eye piece, you can uses their eye piece (excellent quality) or other brands.

#12 ·
1100tac, it's on the way.

For guys considering higher end scopes. I consider my Kowa on the high end for my budget but there are plenty more expensive for sure.

It might not be apparent but know that:
You need to buy a good tripod because high end scopes are heavy. The tripod is going to set you back another $425 at least. More if you want good movement.

Just know the full score going in.

#13 ·
For guys considering higher end scopes. I consider my Kowa on the high end for my budget but there are plenty more expensive for sure.

It might not be apparent but know that:
You need to buy a good tripod because high end scopes are heavy. The tripod is going to set you back another $425 at least. More if you want good movement.

Just know the full score going in.
Plus you usually will have to purchase the eyepiece separately since they have different options available and are not included. All you get is the body and maybe a carry bag. So never assume and check the "what's included" info

#15 ·
Hence my personal review on the Redfield Rampage 20-60x80 for those like me who only need a spotting scope for target range work but want something better than a cheap Barska. I had a customer come in and ordered a Barska 25-125x88 and couldn't figure out why the FOV was so small at a power setting above 40 and almost a pinhole at the max. You get what you pay for so do your research!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.