M14 Forum banner

Spotting scope question, Nikon?

6K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Dave P 
#1 ·
I'm shopping around for spotting scopes and other than reading reviews on the internet I don't know a thing about them, wife and I looked at a Nikon ProStaff 5 20x60x82 outfit at Bass Pro and we both thought it was nice with a very good clear view *in the store* and the price is $649 for the scope and tripod, which seems to be the same price on all online sites I've looked at as well. Searching around the internet it seems to get good-very good to excellent reviews and am curious if anybody here has used this particular scope or another similar Nikon.

Most of our shooting will be 100-200 yards at our local range and *maybe* out to 600 yards occasionally, very occasionally (if ever).

If not familiar with this particular scope is there any other spotting scopes in the $600-800 price range that y'all may suggest? I know the price can escalate rather quickly with spotting scopes but for the type of shooting we do I'm not so sure we'll need anything much more than maybe an $800 budget?

#2 ·
Having had to buy 2 as the first was a $200.00 B&L that just couldn't provide clarity .....Buy a better spotting scope as Image quality and magnification become issues even at 200 yds. I now use a used Nikon 60x (Japan manufacture) not the new china stuff (poor), paid $400.00 used, expect to pay 400 to 900 for good glass....used is VERY hard to find.

#3 ·
Been so long since I bought my Kowa 77mm scope don't have any idea as to cost these days, but Kowa is a very recognized piece of glass seen on many firing ranges from Perry to all others. Will advise that if you do shoot at 600yds. or longer, the higher power the scope is the more mirage you will see. Most match purpose scopes will be in the 20-25x range and an extended eye relief lens is desirable so you don't have to have your eye pressed up against the lens. Using such a lens does not require you to move so close to the lens even shooting off the bench for you can position the scope to be some 3-5" away from your eye and a quick glance will tell you where the targets are hit. I think the "top of the line" Kowa today is an 82mm or even larger, but their middle of the line scopes are a quality piece of glass. Just a suggestion.

#10 ·
I have the same Kowa and like it...
But...if I were buying today I would look at the Konus, may still buy the Kowa for the eye piece but would look close at the Konus. Several shooters I know have bought the Konus and are very satisfied ....especially the level of quality you get fro the money....I would have to look at it.

#6 ·
A great scope for the money is a Konus Konuspot 80. I use it for XTC matches and works great for the $200 I spent on it. I did quite a bit of research and lots of folks like it for a budget minded XTC scope.

#8 ·
i am very happy with my leupold sx-1 ventana. midway had them on sale last month for 180.00 i got the 15x45 with the 60mm objective lens. i was going to get the konus, but i saw some feedback where guys said they were hard to get ahold of for warranty work. i usually shoot 300 yds or so. beyond that, i use it to see where the shots are if i don't hit the steel.

#15 ·
Just picked one up from Bud's for less than $200 shipped to my door. Haven't been out to the range with it yet, but optics appear quite clear and eye relief (my biggest complaint on most spotting scopes) is good. The other option I was looking at was a Pentax PF-80EDA, but at 3x the cost--and being that most of my shooting would be at 300yds or less--I decided to try the Leupold out first.

#9 ·
Not sure this helps answer your question exactly. but I have a Nikon prostaff 60x. The glass is very clear, just like what you seen in the store. To make it more "real world" I can tell you that I can see .223 holes at 200 yds. Maybe that helps answer the clarity question. The negative part is that since is is not a reflective scope, it is very long and heavy. At first this did not seem such a big deal. But as time goes on, I rarely take it with me since it is so big, unwieldy, and requires a strong tripod to stabilize it in Kansas wind. I wish I had a smaller size reflective scope. I hope that helps. Good luck.

#11 ·
I owned a konus before my Kowa. Actually 2 of them. They are priced extremely well, and had the objective/power I wanted.

1st one-one of the elements came unglued 2 days after receipt on way to range.
2nd one-same thing, 2 months into it.

I would assume this to be a production run defect. The retailer took the 1st one back without issue but was curious to how I was using them when I sent #2 back.

Now, it also goes without saying that a LOT of people use this scope…I believe the CMP sold them at one time too.

#12 ·
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a problem this group might help me as solve. I have a Leupold Kenye(sp) scope and need a (padded) cover for it. Leupold does not offer a cover for it and as it seems to be longer and of larger diameter than other scopes. I hope others here and h no competitors covers will fit. I hope that others here have had the same problem and solved it.

#13 ·
I would recommend the Pentax line of spotting scopes. Very nice glass and Pentax uses a standard 1.25" eye piece. You have the option of using standard telescope eye pieces. Pentax has a great no fault warranty. My original spotting scope fell forward and broke in half while shooting a ORPA match at Perry a few years. Pentax replaced the scope for the price of shipping and $25.00 handling charge, no question asked.

#14 ·
Try a Zhumell

I purchased a Zhumell 20-60x80 angled spotting scope about two years ago.
They are made in Tiawan, and offer all the best features one should look for such as fully multi-coated optics, waterproof, nitrogen purged, etc. I have done side by side comparisons with higher end optical systems costing thousands of dollars, and while I will not state that they are equal, the Zhumell compares VERY favorably. IMHO, this scope is the finest optical system in it's class at a price anyone will love. I would strongly recommend this scope to anyone that wants a 1st class scope at a bargain basement price. You won't regret it.

http://www.binoculars.com/spotting-...tting-scopes/2060x80mmangledspottingscope.cfm

#16 ·
#17 ·
Get the Kowa TSN-82SV.

I've had the cheaper spotting scopes and they've ended up falling apart. I just went ahead and bought the Kowa. Glad I did.

Very difficult to see bullet holes past 200 and most times even at 200 yards. Need the perfect lighting and low mirage. The LER lenses are nice, but for range outings I bought the 20-60X as well as the 25X LER.

#20 ·
The Kowa 82 with a 25ler eyepiece is very nice, Its what I use in Highpower. However seeing .22 holes at 200yds is iffy depending on the light conditions, especially if the shot is in the black. At Perry, I can see .22 at 300 since there is no backstop, the light shines through the bullet holes.
.30 cal, you can see 200 no problem, 300, very iffy depending on light conditions.

We supply our Juniors with Konus 80mm scopes. They are actually pretty good scopes, they dont have the optical clarity, but you can read mirage with them and they hold up. They also have a lifetime warranty wich we have used, if it breaks, send it in and they send you a new one.

Also get a Ray Vin scope stand with a 1" pole, youll never look at a tripod again.

#21 ·
"Whatever you decide, get the angled (45 degree) eyepiece. You can thank me later."

This.

And long eye relief is very nice.

Can you spell Kowa??

(stop by the 600 yard range maybe after a match, and ask/look around/try out a couple).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.