M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M1A in the Shawshank Redemption.

The scene when Billy(i think that was his name-the "kid" who passed his GED because of Andy) had a meeting outside of the gates with the warden and the guard shot him...with an M1A. Not very well lit but its a silhouette that is not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hmm. I thought it was a Mini14... I'll have to watch it again just for that scene now lol.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
He sure kept it steady between those shots.

Not sure what State/Federal prison guards were issued back then, but is it inconceivable he'd have an M14?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wasn't this move in the late 40's time frame? I seen the m14 too and thinking about it did we have the m14 back then. I know the years did move forward in the movie too but i'm not sure what year they were in at that time frame. It wasn't a garand it was an m14 i'm sure by the muzzle i know that flashider. But i'm not sure if its a m1a, m14 SA or a chinese polytech/norinco I had to throw that in there, just wanted to see if everyone is awake here, kidding... Bill

fake or fact; Didn't the prison guards all have tommy guns in all the other movies? I remember the Bogart and Cagny prison days were all the guards had tommy guns.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
He sure kept it steady between those shots.

Not sure what State/Federal prison guards were issued back then, but is it inconceivable he'd have an M14?
Pretty much yes it is, in 1965 the M14 was still the main military issue weapon for the Army and Marines. Many National Guard and Reserve units and maybe some active units were still using the M1 Garand. I don't believe there is any way one would have worked its way down to a prison by then, especially a scoped version, pure hollywood.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Pretty much yes it is, in 1965 the M14 was still the main military issue weapon for the Army and Marines. I don't believe there is any way one would have worked its way down to a prison by then, especially a scoped version, pure hollywood.
Agreed. The earliest record I can find where Uncle Sugar transferred/sold/loaned/gave M14 rifles to a non-US military entity is 1966.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
There were no M1A's at that time and I don't believe the M14 would have been available to anyone other than the US military so no it is not correct.
What I meant was the 'window of opportunity' was correct. Given Hollywierds propencity to put things outside an acceptable timeline, I was just pointing out that it was possible.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
"Tommy Williams came to Shawshank in 1965 on a two-year stretch for B&E". That's breaking & entering to you. He was a Rock & Roller if I remember correctly !!! GI2 The movie has been on about 20 times in the last month I think,,LOL !!! Good Ole AMC !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.