M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a sad day. Sportsmans Guide not only is duplicating OM markings, but has wrappers with markings.

In the past I had mentioned that this contract format included the manufacturer's initials and never saw that before. I should have believe my gut feelings, because now I see it is a fake. Sportmans Guide describes them as "Genuine Mil.-spec M14/M1A Mags, still in original wrapper!" incorrectly calling them "Mil Spec".

It has come to this, so beware.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,160 Posts
Bill Ricca,

Someone again is after the fast buck........ :evil: :evil: :evil:.

XXIV Corps :mrgreen:
DMZ 70-72

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Thanks Bill! I knew it was coming to that Eventually! :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have two mags wrapped in this type of paper but I've had them for somtime now. Mine are marked

1005 - 628 - 9048
MAGAZINE ASSY
1 EA CC-A
A - 10/71 - BA4

The ones in the pictures seem to have more info on them, ie extra FSN,Rifle type ect. could this be a give-a-way????
Bill

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BA4 is a rewrap from Anniston, but that does not mean somebody could not duplicate it. Now to your question.

The extra FSN you refer to is probably the B053? That was on many contracts from the M14. B053 or B53 was the older SNL system from pre WWII days.

Being marked with rifle type is not necessarily out of the question. There could be items marked for use with the M14, I just don't remember.

The most consistent thing about packing is the non-consistency. This leaves a wide open door for fraud.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Forrest Inc. out in California is doing the same thing with the same type of packaging. The mags they sell on Gunbroker as new in wrap are repackaged non- USGI marked with a W. They won't even hold 20 rounds. Another rip-off! Someone is putting these out in wholesale volume- thy're not USGI.
Jackal

·
Registered
371 Posts
If the markings on packaging include manufactures initials and those are commercial mags,isn't that grounds for a lawsuit alone?

RED DOT

·
Registered
675 Posts
shadowjack said:
I have two mags wrapped in this type of paper but I've had them for somtime now. Mine are marked

1005 - 628 - 9048
MAGAZINE ASSY
1 EA CC-A
A - 10/71 - BA4

The ones in the pictures seem to have more info on them, ie extra FSN,Rifle type ect. could this be a give-a-way????
Bill
I checked my stock last night and found I have a mag packaged the same as stated above by Shadowjack that I have not opened. On these mags the lettering is all caps and is accross the short width of the mag. The picture of the mags from sportsman have lower case lettering and it is oriented in the long direction of the mag - are these different ??

Anyone else have mags packed of this type described by shadowjack above? What's the condition when opened ? What make stamp is on them? How do they work?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would be wary or items ordered from Sportsman's Guide. It may not be exactly what you think. This has been the case for years. You can call them but chances are they don't know much about their stock. They move whatever product they can and advertize it based on what little information or mis-information they have.

That was my experience about 5 years ago with magazines.

Buyer beware! :?

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
I bought 10 packs of these Win. USGI surplus a few years ago when the AWB was in effect and didn't know if the supply would hold out. I've donated some and opened 1 pack, they come in packs of 2. I'm not trying to get off topic here. It just seems there has been a lot of talk about the Winchester magazines lately. These come out of the package brand new looking with the white powder coating(descendant/dry lube?) and function perfect. I thought it had an sideways W but looking at it closer with a magnifying glass the markings are upside down BRW, over a S-. These marks are 1" from bottom of the floor plate. It looks like there may be a 1 or I after the S- on one of the mags, or it could just be a scratch. The guy I bought them from asked if I wanted any brand in particular as he had many, I had to buy in quantities of ten. I said I didn't really care who made them as long as they were DoD issue. None of the people I donated to ever had problems with them and I'm sure they use them way more than I do. I have only seen or heard of 2 packs, single packs or the wood cases of 2 packs. Here is a photo of the packages un-opened.

These guys conterfiting should face some federal charges IMO. If they accept money, take orders and ship online, UPS or through the mail, the postal inspectors are no joke. If enough people complain about these folks, you can bet your butt that some doors will be kicked in, heavy fines payed & or prison time. I also read a post a month or to back here where a small machine shop was stamping parts with KMT :!: . I hope this guy was a contractor for KMT and had authority to stamp a trade marked stamp on parts. I can't remember but I think it was magazines.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.