M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this guy on armslist listed for 2k, apparently it was on there for several months before I ran across it. With this forums help in identifying it, I decided to purchase.
Air gun Trigger Office supplies Post-it note Font

1991 Springfield Sportmaster unfired, as NIB. Came as described. All paperwork, with a 20 and a 5rd'er. Parts identified so far include TRW bolt
Wood Gas Hardwood Cylinder Metal

TRW op rod
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Tints and shades Plywood

Commercial trigger housing # 7267030-5
With Springfield GI hammer # C46008-7 SA
Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything.
Blue Black Revolver Wood Table

Winchester 63' barrel
Rectangle Wood Sky Plain Horizon

Before I forget, here's the heel
Camera accessory Cylinder Gas Optical instrument Wood

Because the stock is the main difference in this model I've included quite a few pictures of it. As well as random others that may be of interest. It is not bedded, obviously, but I am not sure if the gauged out areas forward of the magwell and to a lesser degree below the rear of the receiver are meant for bedding? The stock fits very tightly as is.no play whatsoever in any direction. I did, however have to remove a fair bit of material on the stock, in the front of the magwell to allow magazines to release freely. They would go in fine, but were very tight to release. I eventually found they were not being allowed to rock forward completely. Once enough material was removed in front, problem solved.
Wood Floor Musical instrument Line Gas

Musical instrument Wood Line Wood stain Hardwood

More pics in next post...

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wood Finger Wood stain Hardwood Metal

Wood Finger Bumper Paint Wood stain

Wood Rectangle Floor Table Wood stain

Hat Fedora Wood Hand tool Table

Table Wood Wood stain Musical instrument accessory Tool

Wood Floor Musical instrument Line Gas

Wood Table Wood stain Hardwood Gas

Wood Gesture Wood stain Flooring Floor

Brown Wood Wood stain Floor Plank

Wood Wood stain Audio equipment Hardwood Varnish

It did come with the wood forend, that I replaced with a fiberglass one. I like the slimmer feel. If anyone has insights or questions based on pics or anything else I would love to hear them. I'm quite happy with the purchase, I don't think I stole it, but I feel the price was exceedingly fair. Now to see how it shoots...

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
One of our forum members Ray55Classic, has one of the Sportmasters. Not sure, but his stock may also be a laminate. Drop him a line if you have questions about it. I believe he's the original owner of his piece. -Lloyd 🍻

Reactions: ray55classic

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Basically that looks like a mint condition 1991 era rifle that appears to be a standard model re USGI Winchester barrel and mostly USGI parts (except trigger housing which I think is a commercial part), but with a unique wood stock set-up for optics. This is the first time I have seen that heel stamp reflecting "Sport Master" instead of "M1A". I guess that was done to either denote it as a sort-of limited edition rifle, or maybe allow it to be sold in a state that where "M1A" was not allowed. (I don't know what state law back in 1991-92 could have applied, but the heel stamping is somewhat unique).

I don't know who made their customized stocks back in 1991 either (maybe a Shaw stock?), but that one is pretty thick and looks nice. Hold on to the original wood handguard as that is kind-of unique as well. I doubt they made more than a couple hundred of that particular rifle and its unique stock, so enjoy it, and thanks for all those pics.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Nice find.

Yes, sometimes the rifles with USGI barrels had a headspace at the top end of .308 Winchester or the bottom end of 7.62 NATO.

The commercial trigger housings had a letter after the part number. - G, I and O are common. I'm guessing yours is a -G.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of our forum members Ray55Classic, has one of the Sportmasters. Not sure, but his stock may also be a laminate. Drop him a line if you have questions about it. I believe he's the original owner of his piece. -Lloyd 🍻
I have talked to Ray55, he was a great help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KurtC, G looks to be correct on the trigger housing. It's so small, and not sharp, I have 20/10 with modern medicine and it's hard to tell, but gotta be. KurtC, question, do you think the stock looks pre spaced/milled out to be bedded, or just normally routed?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I am not well versed with the Sportsman Model myself but that is an Outstanding looking Rifle! I Like it!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Nice! Never herd of a Sportmaster but I like it! I like the stock. That wood handguard will go even further to help reduce heat waves from the barrel (mirage).
Guessing this was supposed to be intended for "the sportsman" and hunting?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Perhaps Kurt will chime in but I know they were made in 1991 I believe, but was it a one year deal, and how many were manufactured?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Great looking rifle.

I’m a bit confused, though… wouldn’t a rifle like this with stock meant for bedded action come bedded like the m21’s are? I’m surprised SAI would sell it essentially incomplete with buyer needing to bed it on their own after purchase.:unsure:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts