M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bunch of FTF issues with my SOCOM today, from mags that have worked tip-top in the past, in both my SOCOM and Loaded.

I think it was just the ammo I was using, but I want to try and track this down.

Last night, I stripped and cleaned the gun. Usually, I just turn it upside down when cleaning the bore. This time, I turn the spindle valve off. Cleaned it up, packed it away, and went shooting.

First two rounds didn't eject, then I remembered I had not turned the spindle valve back on. After that, while shooting a bunch of British RG, things were fine. Shot better than I had the last time out now that she was all clean.

Then I ran out of the RG, and loaded up a batch of stuff purported to be Lake City (was super clean - I suspect it might have been reloaded), and thats where my troubles began. Seemed as if the bolt didn't run back far enough to catch the end of the next round. POI dropped by a few inches @ 100yds as well.

So - my question is two fold:

One, can turning the valve in one direction too much mess something up? If so, how do I fix it?

Second - has anyone had issues with LC ammo?

Doesn't seem like the valve could be the issue. I think it was just the ammo. It's just strikes me odd that the first time I work the valve I end up having gas pressure troubles. I made sure it was locked into the slots good, but still.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
I would suspect that either the ammo, the valve, or the gas plug was the problem. One time I had a problem with the spring in the valve. The spring had weakened and when I turned the valve the spring broke without me knowing it. This resulted in intermittent problems with feeding and extraction, replacing the spring resolved the problems.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suspect that either the ammo, the valve, or the gas plug was the problem. One time I had a problem with the spring in the valve. The spring had weakened and when I turned the valve the spring broke without me knowing it. This resulted in intermittent problems with feeding and extraction, replacing the spring resolved the problems.
Geez. I must be slipping in my old age. I didn't even think of the gas plug. I checked it and it was loose. Must not have tightened it down enough after cleaning.

Between that and leaving the valve closed - I think that means I shouldn't clean my guns at 3 in the morning.

I'll pick up another 50 rds of the Lake City stuff next week and give it a whirl to know for sure.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Lake City

You can tell if its real lake city from the primer being crimped in place, thereby not allowing anyone to reload it unless they remove the crimp, then you will know its been reloaded for sure.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I had an issue while firing Rad green. After about 60 rounds I switched to MKE 80 a Turkish ammo. It was very accurate but I was experiencing FTF. I took the rifle home and found that my gas hole in the barrel wasn't lined up exactly with the gas cylinder. The next time out the MKE fired as trouble free as the RD green. I do believe that the RD has more of a boom than the MKE but with the gas holes aligned properly I am able to shoot both without issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts