M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for a trigger?

Looking to finally upgrade the factory trigger unit that came with my M1A Scout Squad.

I like flat-bow triggers, but that's not a requirement.

Not sure whether I need a completely new trigger assembly but I'm not opposed. Help me spend my money!

Rifle currently has a Z6 2.5-15x44 BRH on it. Thinking about getting a Ballistic Turret installed (4.6 mils of adjustment in the turret + 4.5 mils in the reticle or just getting a Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 installed. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Shooting Sight EBR hammer and trigger for sure!
Trigger shoe!?

Love the wider trigger on my old SAI SuperMatch but Shooting Sights are the way to go!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Yeah, ShootingSight, EBR, maybe with or maybe without the speed hammer, depending if you value the lock time in exchange for a stiffer safety release/reset, or are willing to contour the safety to compensate.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
look he shot the ship....
Lruss

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may also want to consider a proper NM trigger adjustment. It retains the original parts modified to eliminate second stage creep and maintains a 4.5 to 5 pound weight of pull required for safety and satisfies both NRA and CMP competition rules.

I'm not really worried about rules, the main thing for me is having a crisp break without mush and having the pull angle be correct so that it's comfortable firing a pistol-gripped rifle.

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
I'm not really worried about rules, the main thing for me is having a crisp break without mush and having the pull angle be correct so that it's comfortable firing a pistol-gripped rifle.
Go with the ShootingSight products. You won't be sorry. For an M14 type rifle with a pistol grip, you can't beat Art/s EBR trigger.
Go all the way with his lightened hammer and smile on your way to the winners circle.

·
Forum Jester
6,878 Posts
well,you can have jon wolf or jeff shapiro(hueygunner),do the trigger job on gi parts,but my next trigger if and when i build another m14,will be a forged bula trigger melonited main frame and trigger guard,and will send all the pieces to shooting sight. i hate springs going zoooom try to assemble stuff.

Reactions: JEFFJP_N_JJ

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
You may also want to consider a proper NM trigger adjustment. It retains the original parts modified to eliminate second stage creep and maintains a 4.5 to 5 pound weight of pull required for safety and satisfies both NRA and CMP competition rules.

I do not know who did the trigger on my old 2006 SAI Super Match or what it is really... I got it and shot it!
Observations:
It has shot thousands of rounds and is the trigger I am most familiar with so my comments here ARE biased!

Love my Super Match trigger! as it is wider and just 'feels' better to me... Clean and crisp with no slack or drag at all!

Love my Shooting Sight speed hammers and EBR triggers installed in MY trigger housings! Just wish the trigger was wider and felt like my SAI?
Trigger shoe?

I consider them equal guys and WILL use the Shooting Sight stuff in any rifle I work on!

·
Eye Master
3,805 Posts
Just to clarify, the ShootingSight triggers and hammers DO meet CMP and NRA rules for service rifle. They are NOT legal for the Garand 'as issued' matches, but neither are NM trigger jobs. So basically, any match where a trigger job is legal, so are the ShootingSight triggers.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have a triggerjob done by a competend gunsmith. 150€ was a perfect investment combined with a trigger shoe from the waterman.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
--------------------------------
It might be difficult to find a trigger that can be adjusted to a particular location and angle. The triggers for M1a are not like the fancy adjustable location variety on 'match rifles'.

On an M1a (M14/M1) you want several things:

1) reliable and predictable operation - you should know how much trigger pressure can be applied WITHOUT firing. The hammer should reliably release when just slightly more trigger pressure is applied. The hammer release should NEVER be a surprise - it should never release unless you WANT it to.
A trigger weight of about 5 pounds is very good.

2) there will always be a slight amount of trigger creep just before the hammer releases. The sears HAS to move a little bit for release. The amount of creep should be very little, but a no-creep release is difficult for safe and reliable operation.

3) Don't try to delicately 'just touch off' the trigger. When the hammer releases, HOLD the trigger fully rearward until recoil is complete and then fully release the trigger to begin the next shot. A 'too delicate' release can cause the rifle to 'double fire' because your finger is bouncing around in the trigger guard. Have a good firm trigger hand grip on the stock.

Jay

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
On list for the ShootingSight M14 EBR trigger/hammer kit. Looking forward to it coming in.
Once set up, you should love it. I have them on a few of my precision rifles and they make a heck of a difference.

On the left is standard M1 trigger group with standard trigger and hammer. On the right is one of Art's lightened hammers and EBR trigger. Great investment for the real precision shooters.

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_2665_zpsrydaps8m.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
On list for the ShootingSight M14 EBR trigger/hammer kit. Looking forward to it coming in.
Me too. They're not cheap, but oh so handy.

I also got a couple of triggers done by Ted Brown, and there's no complaints, and for the money spent, I think it's a bargain. Plus, it means he touched it.USNA

Very simply, he does what he claims to do, removes the creep, clean break, as smooth a travel from first stage through the break as I can imagine, and far better IMO than the 'National Match' trigger job, that I got included with my SAI loaded. It's not a bolt action 'button press', nor would you want one, but in comparison Ted's work was smoother, and the break cleaner without 'rollover' through the break that I would sometimes sense with the SAI job. Of course, what SAI provides will probably depend on the individual doing it, so it could very well be that they also turn out incredibly good factory trigger jobs. It just wasn't what I happened to get.

But what the ShootingSight gives you, in terms of the trigger angle and surface width with the EBR trigger, you just can't get with a trigger job. Plus, being able to adjust the parameters with a tool to personal taste is nice too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts