M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired some of Hodgons new CFE pistol powder. The only load data I can find is on Hodgons page. I would like to use the 230 gr. HAP bullet at 1.23 OAL. The closest data they have is the FJP seated at 1.2. THe HAP has a little more length in the seat. I have a load with universal that is within spec on a couple of different manuals and gives me a 815ish FPS. This is max load on hodgons (again using the FJP) and my speed is about 30 FPS slower. My question is: If I use the same weight projectile Y and get a velocity X is that producing the same pressure as same weight projectile Z with velocity X at a different seating depth? (1911 5 inch)
THanks,

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
So basically you have 1 kind of 230gr bullet and they list a different 230gr bullet at a different seating depth? Yes you can sub in their data your velocities may be different because it's a different bullet, seating depth, brass type, primer type, etc etc. Just use some common sense and keep an eye on it when you get near the maximum hodgdon charge weight and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I have recently acquired some of Hodgons new CFE pistol powder. The only load data I can find is on Hodgons page. I would like to use the 230 gr. HAP bullet at 1.23 OAL. The closest data they have is the FJP seated at 1.2. THe HAP has a little more length in the seat. I have a load with universal that is within spec on a couple of different manuals and gives me a 815ish FPS. This is max load on hodgons (again using the FJP) and my speed is about 30 FPS slower.

My question is: If I use the same weight projectile Y and get a velocity X is that producing the same pressure as same weight projectile Z with velocity X at a different seating depth? (1911 5 inch)
THanks,
Not necessarily. Different bullets have different ballistic coefficients, friction in rifling, etc. More bullet inside the case both reduces internal case volume and may increase force needed to move the bullet out of the case. Obviously (I hope) you can't interpolate between lead and jacketed bullets of the same weight, but you aren't doing that.

That said, with velocity 30 fps below published data in a low pressure cartridge like .45 Auto you probably are fine. Check primers and case head expansion for pressure signs as always.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.