M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new in wrap MIL PAR M6 bayonet that has this small eagle with three stars on the barrell loop/hand guard. I have another MIL PAR and it does not have this on it. The one with the eagle and stars is top shelf and is the best made looking one I have ever seen.

Is this special or something common?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The eagle with stars is known as the Defense Acceptance Stamp (DAS). Often it gets rubbed away with handling.

The lack of a DAS could mean it is gone thru handling, or it never was installed. My assumption on the Milpar M6 would be that the bayonet originally had it and is now missing.

Another possibility is the bayonet was made up from parts. Years ago when Milpar went out of business, literally tons of parts were released, overruns, rejects, and some complete bayonets too. Back in the 1970's one SGN advertiser had the ability to assemble quite a few thousands of M5A1's, M6's, and M7's.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi Bill,
I have a similar question. I have an Imperial M6 that is brand new in the wrap without the DAS. It came wrapped in rust inhibitor foil/paper marked as manufactured by Shell Oil Co. dated 1967. The foil/paper wrapped bayonet came in a small brown paper box, sealed in a plastic sleeve. The sleeve is marked with a DAAS numbers, and typical looking ISN numbers and dated 1968.

I would imagine from all the wrap and the 1968 date this would be USGI rather than made from parts, but there is no DAS stamp. When would the stamp have been marked - before or after packaging? This is the second Imperial M6 I have owned without the DAS.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I really can not give you an answer that I would bet my life on. I imagine some items never got the DAS. But I do know of gimmicks done in the past.

Imperial, in the late 1970's re-ran M6 bayonets for a large dealer. They were perfect in every aspect, except they were not individually packed. They were packed in a "cartwheel arrangement", a cardboard box with all the blades facing the center in a circular arrangement. It would not be a stretch to find somebody who purchased the older military packaging on the surplus market and packed them.

Your bayonets may be perfectly legit, I just don't any way to determine yes or no.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The eagle and stars are not an ink or paint mark stamp. It is put there with a punch and hammer or something of that nature like a die.

The wrapper is marked as so

1005-722-3097-B008
BAYONET KNIFE - M6
1 EACH
DA-11-199-ORD-601
COLUMBUS MILPAR & MFG. CO
MFG./CONTR.
COLUMBUS, OHIO
A-1C- 12/61

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I purchased an M6 years ago. It's an Imperial. I remember that the package had a Federal Stock Number and it also said that the bayonet was repacked and the date it was repackaged. I'll have to look and see if it has a DAS stamp.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been thinking about this and came to beleive that the DAS stamp were put on the early made M6 bayonets. I don't know if anyone has a good answer on this subject of the DAS marked and unmarked bayonets.

I also opened a niw Imperial marked bayonet that did not have the DAS. It had a cracked handle so I sent it back to the seller to get my money back. I believe it was factory reject that was packaged, that is just my own opinion.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Any information as to when the DAS stamp was placed - before or after the wraping/packaging at the factory (of course it would need to be unwraped then stamped and issued). It seems strange that my GI wrapped Imperial would not have a DAS unless it was also a reject. The ceterline down the blade is not perfect on either side and there is a divit on the flat side of the blade that almost looks like a spot weld about 1" below the cross guard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.