M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an idea where I can find a original or new manufactured SP-1 or M-16A1 light contour 20" barrel.

I have played Google fu and only found one offered at CMMG without a pic and very expensive. No luck anywhere else. I need one to rebarrel my Uncles SP-1 that he removed the original barrel from and that one has gone missing.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
I have an entire colt AR-1 upper I was thinking about parting with. I am not sure I want to sell it, I hear many telling me to hold onto the old dinosaur. When I see the M16 kits being sold they come with new manufactured barrels. I think the barrels were demilled as well as the lowers. I am looking for one for my brother in law so if you come across one or two let me know. Everything I have built to date to include my carbine has a heavy barrel. I picked up a complete AR-15A1 rifle last week and man is it light, I remember carrying that puppy around on 25 mile road marches and it seemed like it was the heaviest thing I had on my body until they issued me a 60. Thank god I had two other troops to help me with that puppy. Nice part about it was the newbies alway were willing to carry it LOL I never gave it a second thought.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Has anyone talked to DPMS in regards to this?
http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5601&cat=1919

Don't know if the contour is A1 correct but at least it says it's for the .65 sight base. I know it's a 1/9 twist but that wouldn't be all bad if you had some SS109 to shoot thru it either.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone talked to DPMS in regards to this?
http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5601&cat=1919

Don't know if the contour is A1 correct but at least it says it's for the .65 sight base. I know it's a 1/9 twist but that wouldn't be all bad if you had some SS109 to shoot thru it either.
How the hell did I miss that? I was on their website. Thanks a million, that is just what I am looking for. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
How the hell did I miss that? I was on their website. Thanks a million, that is just what I am looking for. Thanks for your help!
It's not obvious. I think it depends on how you navigate to it.
It's under 5.56 barrels /20in. I once tried to get back to it and thought they had taken it off the site.

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I thought of building an upper with a 20" barrel and I think the lighter barrel would be a good way to go. I am not going to bench rest shoot with it, so the heavier barrel is not necessary.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Be advised, the DPMS 20" light weight barrel is not chrome lined, it's 4140 Chrome-Moly Steel. Which is not righteous for the Colt SP-1...

7th
While I generally agree with the above. I would point out that the earliest barrels were not chrome lined. While this led to problems in the jungle under combat conditions, I know people who prefer the non lined barrels for their own reasons. I don't always agree with their reasons.

Also 1/12 twist vs. 1/9 twist barrels have their own Pro's & Con's. Mostly depends on the weight of bullet you like to use.
It's nice to have choices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.