M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went to SOG to order some .303 ammo and ran across their catalog and they had a M16-A1 clone that had the triangle hand guard.

Description "The C15A1 Sporter is manufactured from original Colt parts with a new U.S. made
receiver and barrel. It is based on the M16A1 and has the triangular "Vietnam era"
handguards with short and long range peep sights. The chamber and bore twist allow
for the use of both .223 and 5.56x45mm ammunition. Comes with two original Colt 30
rd. mags. Barrel: 20" with a 1:9" twist, Overall: 39.5”, Weight: 8.6 lbs."

Now aside from the question is it Jersey Legal, do you think these are readily available, i cannot find the triangle hand guards, and if there was any Ar-15 ide like to have it would be one of these. Now is SOG any good as a rifle dealer, i have bought ammunition from them before, but rifle require a FFL, which i have to find one still.

i can't find these at at gun shows either, thus why im asking.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I would guess this was assembled from the demilled A1 kits that have flooded the market reciently.
If it is the parts are like new but the barrel isnt USGI but a commercial barrel
You could get one of the kits minus the lower for around $500.00
I'm not up on Jersey laws but I dont think these would be legal there. Arent bayo lugs on rifles illegal?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A semi automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and two or more of the following is considered an assault weapon:

pistol grip
threaded barrel
folding or telescoping stock
bayonet lug
grenade launcher
I would guess that makes it an Assault weapon, as long as it has the front sight with the bayo lug correct?

Also, where can one purchase an A1 kit, i might just buy the kit and buy a lower at a future date.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If its not legal for you to own why would you want the kit?
Because if i had the Jersey legal lower, then i can have the upper parts kit, minus the bayonet lug.

Jersey doesn't allow folting or take down stock, etic, and all AR-15 models here are all Jersey legal, so i would think any AR-15 upper would just swap on top

Technically i can put a GI flash hider on my M1A and it would be legal, because it does not have a pistol grip, but this has a pistol grip thus cannot have a bayonet lug,

I think the only thing making it illegal is the bayo lug, correct?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Probably a Century gun. I don't trust Century to perform any assembly or manufacturing work. Hopefully Century paid someone competent to do the work. The less they touch the better.

Gunthings sells the kit for $600 with FSB installed on barrel, barrel parkerized. Takes all the skill work out of AR15 assembly so all you need is a quality lower of your choosing (I like NDS retro receivers). Basic assembly after that.

Don't know anything about your laws.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts