M14 Forum banner

Source of Ordnance Drawing

3576 Views 7 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  lysander
First, I, on occasion, like to launch "adult lawn darts" from a few of my rifles. I use the M29 "lawn dart" for this but over the years my supply has been reduced mainly due to broken fins. For several year now I have been trying to obtain copies of the ordnance drawing for the M29 Practice Rifle Grenade, especially the fin (8864100). With this drawing I could create a 3-d model and with a 3-d printer I could make replacement fins. All my FOIA request for this drawing have been denied because information not available for release to the public. Now, given the world situation I can sort of understand the reasoning for this but give me a break the information is 60 years old and it is a FIN. Does anyone have a copy of this drawing or know of a source or route I can take to get a copy?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6,366 Posts
Can't you use some of your existing fins as models and make a drawing from that?

It's not like you have to be worried about tolerancing issues across the entire M29 population?

EDIT:
Oh, by the way, is that part number for the fin alone or the entire bottom section that screws into the "warhead"? I can look for the part number but it would help if I had the part number for the entire grenade assembly.

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, I am an engineer, therefore very anal! Second, the first principle of engineering is "NEVER REINVENT THE WHEEL!". If the work has already been done use it. 8864100 is the drawing for the fin alone. I have the drawing information for the other parts and the assembly but for now the fin is all I really need.

· Registered
6,366 Posts
First, I am an engineer, therefore very anal! Second, the first principle of engineering is "NEVER REINVENT THE WHEEL!". If the work has already been done use it. 8864100 is the drawing for the fin alone. I have the drawing information for the other parts and the assembly but for now the fin is all I really need.
Yeah, I know, but in the absence of better information sometimes you have to.

Could I get all the other part numbers and nomenclatures you have, it helps sometimes when I go digging through the drawings I have access to.

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here they are:
DRAWING NUMBER NAME
8864102 Grenade, Rifle, Practice, M29
8864099 Ogive
8864101 Tube
8864100 Fin
8864098 Body
8864104 Stabilizer Assembly
8864097 Ring

· Registered
6,366 Posts
Okay, I found the problem with your failure with a FOIA request.

The M28 AT Rifle Grenade and the TP M29 are proprietary designs owned by Mecar. The US bought the grenades, and Mecar licensed production, but the design was always owned by Mecar.

Even if Rock Island or some other US Government Agency still has a copy of the prints (and they probably do), they cannot give them to anybody, even other USG agencies, without permission of Mecar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.