M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Based on the Marines I know and have met, I don't think they would complain about a 13 lb gun.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The M14 7.62mm Enhanced Battle Rifle (EBR) is an air-cooled, gas-operated, magazine-fed, shoulder-fired weapon. It is a rack stock M14 rifle mated to an enhanced aluminum billet stock, Mark 4 tactical scope, and cantilever mount. With its new adjustable buttstock, cheek rest and M4-style pistol grip, the rifle is effective in close quarters combat and in the Squad Designated Marksman role. The EBR can be returned to its original configuration with no permanent modifications.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The M14 7.62mm Enhanced Battle Rifle (EBR) is an air-cooled, gas-operated, magazine-fed, shoulder-fired weapon. It is a rack stock M14 rifle mated to an enhanced aluminum billet stock, Mark 4 tactical scope, and cantilever mount. With its new adjustable buttstock, cheek rest and M4-style pistol grip, the rifle is effective in close quarters combat and in the Squad Designated Marksman role. The EBR can be returned to its original configuration with no permanent modifications.
This one is an M39 EMR...a little different than the Army's EBR. The scope is a Schmidt and Bender, not a Leupold Mk4. The EMR also had the scope mount welded to the receiver, so returning it to its original configuration would be a bit difficult. Also, this one uses a medium weight barrel.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Now you are going to cost me $1000.00 for a new Stock GI2

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I posted this a couple days ago in the picture thread, but this seems like the appropriate place to repost!

Me with my .gov EBR on patrol 3 days ago in the Astan.

Thanks for your aervice.

Looks like yall been getting some moisture.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
So, just curiosity here. Do the soldiers get to chose their weapon? If I had to hike around in the 100 degree desert all day I dont know if I would want the m1a.
Yes and no, it all depends on the cirumstances. When I was in Iraq my snipers had the Mk11, Mk12, M40a3, and DMR M14 at their disposal. If they were not using the M14 for the mission I grabbed it and stuck my M4 in the COC.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So, just curiosity here. Do the soldiers get to chose their weapon? If I had to hike around in the 100 degree desert all day I dont know if I would want the m1a.
It all depends on your unit and leadership. I'm fortunate that mine understands the importance of tailoring weapons systems for specific missions and needs.

Just in my squad (I'm the squad leader) I either have my M4 w/acog or CompM4, or the M14 EBR. My Alpha team leader has the same, and my bravo team leader (sniper qualified) either has his M4, M110, or M2010 depending on mission set. Even my machine gunner has options with a m249, M240L, or MK48. This is my third tour, but the first time I've ever had a weapons cage at the foot of my cot dedicated to my squad. It's pretty awesome really and hopefully once I have a platoon I can carry on that line of thinking.

Picture is from a couple weeks ago, we now have 1000+ rds of M118lr and 400 .300 win mag crammed in there that we were able to acquire. My B team leader (sniper) commented that we have more ammo in that cage than his teams were allotted all year from the battalion before we left. Being deployed does have some perks!

PS: humping the M14 with all the other crap we have to carry does suck... my arms are smoked by time we get back

·
Registered
823 Posts
I posted this a couple days ago in the picture thread, but this seems like the appropriate place to repost!

Me with my .gov EBR on patrol 3 days ago in the Astan.

That reminds me of my time in panjwei.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Carrying heavy weapons and equipment is just a part of the job over rough terrain. This is nothing new.

Great photos!

Not to be ugly but that is the difference between those of us who served on the ground in a combat zone and those who sat home under the AC with cold drinks in their hand.

We combat vets are getting to be rare birds now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No offense meant...

I didnt mean anything by the question - I hope you did not think I was being a jerk. I just recently acquired my first m1a and took it out on a spring bear hunt. The difference between carrying my AR, which I use for deer, and the m1a over the same terrain was considerable. Once I picked up an EBR with the Sage stock, I was shocked. That, a pack and ammo would probably be enough to do a gimp like me in.

Carrying heavy weapons and equipment is just a part of the job over rough terrain. This is nothing new.

Great photos!

Not to be ugly but that is the difference between those of us who served on the ground in a combat zone and those who sat home under the AC with cold drinks in their hand.

We combat vets are getting to be rare birds now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our deer here in Oregon are pretty small. Used a AR for the last dozen or so with great results, and really easy to hump around the woods and up and down hills.

Been using heavy bullets (77 grain SMK loaded very hot) for the first couple and moved on to the Barnes Vortek 55 grainers. The Barnes are great, and usually dont have an exit wound but maintain most of the mass (weighed one at 53 grain after finding it, on the scale, but that included a little deer I could not get out...). I dont let anyone else use the Barnes, as I think you have to be very careful with placement, but my 12 year old nephew took his first deer with my AR and a 77 grain projectile. Here in Oregon the .223 centerfire is the smallest diameter you can use legally, but I know a lot of states regulate it to .243.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts