M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if somebody rebarreled a No.4 Mk1 Enfield action to .243Win?

Chamber pressure in CUP- I've noted a maximum disparity of about 20K CUP between 303 Brit and .243Win, the latter being up in the 50K range. Would the Enfield reciever take the increased pressure safely? With the Enfield having two bolt lugs?

The over-all cartridge length is shorter- I'm thinking the follower would have to be shortened and a spacer installed.

Will the Enfield's forward wood- shortened as the front sight would be a sporter type- fit around a medium weight sporter barrel?

Just thinking. Don't know if I'll do anything with this idea or not. Noting that most .243's are on Mauser type or Rem700 type actions and that .243 is the same rim size as 8mm, 308, and .30-06.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The idea might run with a #1mkIII/2A action having the right size bolt face and a magazine that will run with that kind of cartridge . As long as you can get a bolt face to work right it may go with a #4 . Shotgun News had an article recently about the .308 in a #4 made in limited numbers .

Jack

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.