M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a Type I lock bar sight some time but I was not willing to pay what they sell for. One sold on CMP forum 2 month ago for $950
I was searching GunBroker the other day and found a auction with this one listed. I placed and bid and no one bid against me . I got real lucky and picked up this one for $135.
Type I Lock Bars are the hardest of all sights to find, much harder than flush nuts. They were only used for a several month span.

·
Premium Member
15,248 Posts
Nice find.
It is amazing how much stuff is out there. Just when you think something is gone one shows up. I see this all the time and haven't been disappointed yet.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Great score!! Congrats! Hey can you post pics showing the differences of the type 1 and type 2.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great score!! Congrats! Hey can you post pics showing the differences of the type 1 and type 2.
The difference is the threads are smaller, therefore the hole is smaller than a standard Type 2 or 3 lockbar. They do not jump out at you until you take them apart. I was told the Type 1 fell off from time to time. I believe they were only made for 5 or 6 months.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Type I locking bar on the right, Type III on the left (type II has same size hole, just the ends of bar are rounded)
As already stated the type I has a smaller pinion thread hole

Type I on right
The type I has a short pinion with 6-40 threads , type I & II has long pinion with 8-36 threads. As you can see the type I bar is only screwed on by a few threads.

The earlier flush nut sight uses the same short pinion but a spanner or flush nut to secure it

You couldn't disassemble the flush nut sight without a tool. The end of the combo tool (with two pins) was used for this

·
Registered
281 Posts
Type I locking bar on the right, Type III on the left (type II has same size hole, just the ends of bar are rounded)
As already stated the type I has a smaller pinion thread hole

Type I on right
The type I has a short pinion with 6-40 threads , type I & II has long pinion with 8-36 threads. As you can see the type I bar is only screwed on by a few threads.

The earlier flush nut sight uses the same short pinion but a spanner or flush nut to secure it
WOW! Really good stuff, Orlando. Saved to my info box, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts