M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Mechanics: This rifle has been restored. The receiver has been re-welded and the barrel has been fused. Have a gunsmith determine if the rifle is safe to fire regularly.
The action functions correctly. We have not fired this rifle. As with all previously owned firearms, a thorough cleaning may be necessary to meet your maintenance standards.

·
Premium Member
5,264 Posts
If the seller neglected to state the welded receiver and 2 piece barrel, I would agree with you 110% that the buyer got screwed, but it's clearly listed in the description. It's on the buyer to read the description.
I don't know enough about the very very early M1 components, but if that's an original no trap door butt plate, I've seen them sell for $750.
But my Q is, what is with the knurled hex screw on the windage knob?
Thanks for posting this, it'll be interesting what others say.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The oprod is a rare one also. Agree on the buttplate. I have seen the welded receivers and some you cannot tell except for the drawings numbers. No idea on site? But I have never heard about about marrying a 03 barrel and M1 barrel!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
This seller should be locked up!!

Mechanics: This rifle has been restored. The receiver has been re-welded and the barrel has been fused. Have a gunsmith determine if the rifle is safe to fire regularly.
The action functions correctly. We have not fired this rifle. As with all previously owned firearms, a thorough cleaning may be necessary to meet your maintenance standards.
You will note that Lock Stock and Barrel is a Top 10 seller on GB. For the sales volume, I am impressed with the thoroughness of the description. I am a non-stocking home-based FFL, but usually transfer 1 or 2 firearms a week from customers buying on-line (some GB, some PSA, Buds, etc). I have transferred several sold by them in the last few months and they were all decent guns. A couple have been old Browning take-down SA-22's, with even having the original box. One of my regulars seems to have developed a taste for old .22s.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
But I have never heard about about marrying a 03 barrel and M1 barrel!!!
Back when you could buy NOS 03-A3 barrels for a couple of bucks and new or even serviceable M1 barrels were made of unobtanium, that was a fairly common practice. You performed a procedure known as making a stub of the M1 barrel's chamber end, and went from there. I had a rifle with one of those barrels at one time, and it shot quite well.

·
Premium Member
5,264 Posts
The oprod is a rare one also. Agree on the buttplate. I have seen the welded receivers and some you cannot tell except for the drawings numbers. No idea on site? But I have never heard about about marrying a 03 barrel and M1 barrel!!!
Many years ago just for giggles (I already had a good M1D) I bought one of the $12.99 Numrich D blocks and a barrel from ?? I forget. Barrel turned out to be a 6 groove. I asked Bill Ricca about it and he gave me a man's name who did this work. He had pounds of demilled M1 barrels. Sooo, he took the chamber end of the M1 barrel, and the plentiful 03A3 barrels and did some sort of half joint and mated them together. While the cheapie D barrel block mount was cast, it was not milled in a way that it was concentric with the barrel. No matter what me and my friends did, we just could not get that rifle sighted in. Took it apart, gunsmith buddy took the barrel and installed it on another receiver and only shot with iron sites. Barrel was accurate as heck.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,619 Posts
My brother bought a Tanker M1 years ago, it turned out to be a re-weld, we shot hundreds of rounds through it. When he passed away I got it along with the rest of his guns, I was working on it and found out it was a Springchester, it also had one of the 2 piece barrels on it [I still have it]. These were built back in the days when it was hard to get a Garand and there were a couple of companies that would take two halves of a de-milled M1 and weld them together, some were good and some were bad. I had a smith check out the receiver and he said the safety bridge was good so I built it up into a nice truck gun, I figure if the gun is going to go it will crack at the weld, the bolt will be locked when it fires. I would trust it more then the Federal Ordnance M1 Garand receiver I have. I am going to turn it into a .22LR one of these days.

eQ

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Reactions: m1sniper
1 - 20 of 30 Posts