M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently having a rifle built on a M25 rear lug LRB receiver using tha classic M1A McMillan stock. The stock has molded in Woodland Camo pattern. Really wanted some texture but was told texture and Molded in Camo cannot be had in this stock. Posted earlier that I was looking for some sort of texturing and was given some good ideas. Then I ran across a picture of a stock on Ed Browns web site. Its on the Marine Sniper rifle. If you get a chance please look at the wrist and forearm of the rifle on the pics and try to decide what form of texturing this is. The description states the camo pattern is molded in. The texture almost looks raised, like it was added after the stock was molded. Any help on this is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
Its not that McMillan cant do it, its that they dont for the M1A stocks. They do it with or without texture for the HTG's, which is the stock you are talking about. Technically the M1A stock is designed for competition and those are the typical types of people purchasing it. Its not a tactical stock by any means...

Get some 3M spray glue, or one of the other tacky glues competitors use to add some "hold" to the stock. Trust me, with the 14, you wont be the first doing it.

If it makes you feel any better the HTG stock you are referring to was developed specifically by McMillan for Marine Snipers for the M40A1. The stock the Marines used did not have the texture...Ed Brown is overlooking that detail, but that may be irrelevant to him...

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,108 Posts
McMillan Textured Stocks

McMillan can furnish a textured finish on stocks that have painted on colors. Gel coat molded in colors are not available with a textured finish. Some McMillan stocks like the M3A have textured grip areas that are molded in and can be had in camo colors, but the competition model isn't available that way. You could always have the stock painted in a camo textured finish applied over the gel coat finish. McMillan doesn't do painted camo however.

·
Registered
558 Posts
McMillan can furnish a textured finish on stocks that have painted on colors. Gel coat molded in colors are not available with a textured finish. Some McMillan stocks like the M3A have textured grip areas that are molded in and can be had in camo colors, but the competition model isn't available that way. You could always have the stock painted in a camo textured finish applied over the gel coat finish. McMillan doesn't do painted camo however.
I own (well used to - sold the rifle last year) a McMillan HTG with texture and molded in camo...

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
McMillan might do a custom stock the way you want it, if you are willing to wait for them to get it into their production schedule. Worth a call or an email, I would suppose.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wonder if that black gritty marine tape would work? I'm talking those tape pads often used on steps or decks. If you use that tacky spray stuff for grip it'd keep the spray off your stock, too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I looked at the photos on Ed Browns site. I wonder if something like the rubberized/urethane textured paint-on truck bed liner materials (like Hurculiner) would work? It looks like exactly the same texture. It comes in different colors and you can sometimes get free samples. I think you could paint over it too.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up about the texture that can be done with molded in colors, like on the HTG (though not on the M1A). It does not add any real noticeable tactile advantage.

I had a Model 70 Winchester 300 WSM in the HTG stock with the texture and molded in camo. If it's moist enough (sweat, humidity, etc) the texture was no real advantage. There is no "tackiness" to it.

Gotta figure though, if Marine Snipers could get by without it in the HTG on the M40A1 (I also believe the M1A Stock was used on the M25 without texture), then there is probably no real reason for it. I think its more a "look" thing than anything else....GI7

Can always get some sticky cloth tape that hockey players use on their sticks, if you find yourself in a pinch.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I looked at the photos on Ed Browns site. I wonder if something like the rubberized/urethane textured paint-on truck bed liner materials (like Hurculiner) would work? It looks like exactly the same texture. It comes in different colors and you can sometimes get free samples. I think you could paint over it too.
Spray bedliner actually works pretty well on wood that you can rough up with coarse sandpaper before you apply. I wouldn't do that to the finish on a $500 McM composite stock. The sticky-grip stuff you can cut loose with acetone makes more practical sense if you ever wanted to sell/trade the stock or the rifle.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just so people are aware, there is one photo on Ed Browns site that shows the pistol grip close up. That photo is giving a slightly false impression of how "textured" the texture McMillan does really is. Lots of light and camera angles and good photography (and maybe some Photoshop) in that shot, but its being represented as more than it really is....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts