M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's got quite a few SA parts, including bolt, op rod, and trigger group to go along with what looks to be original HRA stock, barrel sights, gas plug, etc. All finish on all parts match except for the handguard metal. Lots of speculation that some HRA's left the shop with SA parts back in the day. Looks to be a very nice rifle. I function fired it on Friday but have yet to get it to a proper range. Next week maybe.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a few CMP Garands and love them. Blew a milk jug full of water at least 20 ft up in the air yesterday and shot holes in a chunk of axle steel with AYR M2 AP. Lots of fun! Fine looking HRA you have there.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Beautiful rifle, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
It's got quite a few SA parts, including bolt, op rod, and trigger group to go along with what looks to be original HRA stock, barrel sights, gas plug, etc. All finish on all parts match except for the handguard metal. Lots of speculation that some HRA's left the shop with SA parts back in the day. Looks to be a very nice rifle. I function fired it on Friday but have yet to get it to a proper range. Next week maybe.
That's become a popular subject of speculation. Reckon CMP's the "arsenal rebuilder" of these SA-flavored H&R's? Either way, looks like you snagged a good one. It makes for a nice couple with your M1A.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bd111, yes there is a lot of speculation. For me it really doesn't matter. A rifle built in 1954 and from the looks of the metal definitely never saw action has little to no "historical value" . I bought this rifle to shoot, not collect. With millions of rifles made, I am not one to believe that it has to be "correct" to own it. This is a great rifle at a great price and could care less if it is a mixmaster or not.

My statement was just based on the number of rifles nearlly exactly like mine coming out of CMP right now, these rifles look to have never been rebuilt at an arsenal, all metal finish match and just "look right". My gas plug and barrel bushing have a matching "scratch" that tells me those two specific parts have been together for a while, and not put together at CMP. There is no documentation that H&R used SA parts in manufacturing their run of M1's, but one never knows with military contracts.

In my opinion, everyone should get a couple of these Garands, they are NOT going to last forever at the CMP.

GP

·
Registered
569 Posts
Who made the barrel?

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Congrats! Looks great. Hope my forthcoming HRA service looks as good.FRG1

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have a few CMP Garands and love them. Blew a milk jug full of water at least 20 ft up in the air yesterday .

Hehehe, I used to get the RO's attention at the range I used to go to doing this. Brings back the memories :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
CMP Garand

Interestingly, I have a newly aquired CMP M1 that's just the opposite.... '54 SA Receiver and Barrel and the rest all HRA. I was speculating that perhaps SA built some rifles w/ HR parts since all the parts seem to match so well. After all, H&R was in Worcester which isn't that far from Springfield and Gov't contract work being what it is... perhaps feasible? In reality, it's probably a skilled CMP armorer doing a fine job matching parts, but it's fun to think it might be an original specimen.GI5

Really beautiful rifle you have there by the way!

Contra

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice rifle!!! I picked up a nice FG HRA with almost all HRA parts awhile back, Jan. 1955....ME 2.0....Your rifle like mine has had a few thousand rounds fired through it, an still has plenty of barrel life. Good score!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts