M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend my buddy LbSigMan and I went up to the Angeles Shooting Range for a little trigger time. He helped me re-zero my Armscorp M14 and we put the 1st few rounds down the tube of his M1 Garand. He was also testing out some fresh hand loads for his Norinco M14, Garand, and AR Dissipator. I brought along my AR and M1 Carbine as well. Most of the photos are of LbSigMan because I was the one who brought the camera. I didn't take any photos of targets because I think we all like pictures of guns more than of pieces of paper with little holes in them, right?

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Ok You have Done It Now. I am Jealous.
I looks like you 2 Certainly had a Garand Time ( and yes pun intended)
What kind of Distance is Available on the range

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi CPW,

The range goes out to 700 yards, with steel plates beginning at 200 yards. You can shoot paper all the way out if you want to walk that far, but people usually don't put up paper targets further than 200-300 yards. It takes too long and the range officers start getting impatient (as do the shooters). GI2

There is a pistol range to the east (I think it's east) of the rifle line that has paper targets at 25 yards and steel gongs at 50-100 yards. There is also a shotgun pit and a couple of private tactical ranges for rent. One of these days I'd love to rent one of those tactical ranges.

·
Administrator
17,747 Posts
Off to the range soon!

Good looking rigs and nice looking rifle range. Thanks for posting so many good pictures.DI5

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice looking M14, I was out there on Sunday shooting my new to me Colt 1911, I brought the mouse gun as well. Angeles is a very nice range.

The pistol range also has rifle steel and paper out to 100 yards and they have lights and are open until 9pm on Wednesdays.

There new reloading shop has reloading supplies and does PPT transfers.

They have Hunter safety classes almost every weekend.

These guys do tactical training for a price...GI8 I am thinking about doing the Carbine course.

http://www.internationaltactical.com/class.asp

I also like the sound of automatic fire once in awhile from the private ranges were Law enforcement train...

Chris

·
Registered
744 Posts
Looks good, I've shot at that range a few times. The only thing about it I don't care for, to many people. But I'll be back done there in a couple of weeks to visit some friends and we will be going there for some shooting. A bad day at the range is better then a good day elsewhere.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice looking M14, I was out there on Sunday shooting my new to me Colt 1911, I brought the mouse gun as well. Angeles is a very nice range.

The pistol range also has rifle steel and paper out to 100 yards and they have lights and are open until 9pm on Wednesdays.

There new reloading shop has reloading supplies and does PPT transfers.

They have Hunter safety classes almost every weekend.

These guys do tactical training for a price...GI8 I am thinking about doing the Carbine course.

http://www.internationaltactical.com/class.asp

I also like the sound of automatic fire once in awhile from the private ranges were Law enforcement train...

Chris
The price is well worth it. Scotty Reitz is an excellent instructor.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Great pics, Spit! Sorry I had to detour and could not make it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You got some great pics, Spitfire75!

Nice job catching the brass and especially the en bloc clip in air! BANANA1
Thanks Tanner,

That's my favorite photo...I love how sharp the enbloc clip came out. I'm glad I was able to get a fast enough shutter speed for most of the pics.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Really nice action photos Spitfire75. Looks like a great day at the range with some very fine equipment. Those kinda days rule.GITEN

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Jealous

Great pics and some nice weapons.

Is that one of the CMP Special Grade Garands? Looks like new CMP wood. Nice Carbine too!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great pics and some nice weapons.

Is that one of the CMP Special Grade Garands? Looks like new CMP wood. Nice Carbine too!
The Garand was built from parts including a NIW bolt and NIW barrel. LbSigman can tell you all about the hardware. The wood came from Dean's Gun Restorations. I wish it was my Garand but I'll have to build one up for myself.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you get that type of action pic? Is it just luck?
It helps if it's a nice sunny day. I use a very fast shutter speed and I set my camera to a very high aperture. This allows enough light into the lens so that the photo won't come out too dark with such a quick shutter speed. For some of those photos, my camera was set to an aperture of F5 and a shutter speed of 1/800 second. If both LbSigMan and I had been standing in the sun instead of halfway in the shade, I could have cranked the shutter speed to over 1/1000 second and it would have come out even sharper. Then, I set the camera to shoot sequences. My camera only shoots at a maximum speed of about 2.5 to 3 shots per second, so it takes a little bit of luck and good timing to get shots of brass in the air. For every good action shot I have with an empty shell in the air, there are probably 10 photos without it. Photography is fun! GI6

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Speaking greek since I don't know anything about cameras. But good info anyway. Are you using a digital camera? If so, what brand and how is shutter speed adjustable? I thought digitals had fixed shutter speed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Speaking greek since I don't know anything about cameras. But good info anyway. Are you using a digital camera? If so, what brand and how is shutter speed adjustable? I thought digitals had fixed shutter speed.
Camera jargon can be intimidating until you get the hang of it...just like anything else, I suppose. GI2 Here are the basics:
  • Aperture/F-Stop: How wide open or closed the lense is, like the pupil in your eye. This affects the depth of field and how much light is let into the lense.
  • Shutter Speed: How long the lense stays open when you take the photo. The longer it stays open, the brighter the photo will be, but it may be blurrier. Very fast shutter speeds are good for capturing fast action shots.
I used an entry-level Digital SLR camera made by Sony Electronics, model a300K. DSLR cameras are closer to film cameras in terms of adjustability. I can adjust almost everything; there are a LOT of cool features. I can also attach different lenses (macro, long, fisheye, etc). You lose much of this functionality with point & shoot digital cameras, but you gain very small size and portability.

I would really love to get out into the high desert someplace so that I could get some really good photos. I'll have to find some BLM land to shoot on one of these days.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Awesome range visit!

Love that all the arms are USA types. No AccKKs!! in sight.
I won't own the weapon of the enemy.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Love that all the arms are USA types. No AccKKs!! in sight.
I won't own the weapon of the enemy.
Even if you have pried them from the cold, dead hands of said enemies?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts