M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance for my lousy pics. I collected military knives and bayos for most of my life. After moving last year most are still packed away, but I found a couple of pics in my camera, so dug out some of the others tonight. I have a couple of hundred other military knives and bayos, as well, but they are wrapped up in storage in the garage.

First pic has a relic Mauser 98/05 "Butcher Bayonet" from the Battle of the Somme, as well as a beat up 98/05 that has the early leather scabbard. (I have some other 98/05's that are beautiful. One is mint, one is excellent.) French Gras with Brass pommel and some of my Argentinian 1909 Short Swords. On the end is a Philippine bolo with water buff handle.

Next is my Springfield 1905. It is near mint, but the scabbard is in rough shape. Below that is a Medical Bolo, used for clearing brush around hospitals. Later used by the US Forrest Service.

Next are my three favorite Ka-Bar/Mk2 knives. First one is new/unissued Mk2. Next is a UDT with the factory chrome finish and water proof handle. Third is a theater mod Mk2 with chrome. The factory versions were sent back to the factory and disassembled, then plated. The theater modded ones were done in country but were not disassembled prior to plating. They are a flat hard chrome finish, typically. The factory done knives are a shiny finish and very rare.

The bottom two are two of my Cold Steel knives that I replaced the rubber handles on. Now they are Micarta.

That is it for tonight.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Very nice collection. What a trip through history. Definitely looking forward to more.

·
"Death From Above"
11,443 Posts
Great collection you have M14rocks! I bet that collection set you back some. I know a couple of my oldies did. I was thinking about making a display case for mine over the winter I better get moving on that before you know it spring will be here. Again nice collection. How long did it take you to find them all?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great collection you have M14rocks! I bet that collection set you back some. I know a couple of my oldies did. I was thinking about making a display case for mine over the winter I better get moving on that before you know it spring will be here. Again nice collection. How long did it take you to find them all?
Thanks! This is a tiny part of the collection. I have a couple hundred more, so will dig them out and post.

I got the 1905 Springfield bayo about 8 years ago at a gun show. It was on a table piled high with bayos. Because it has the blued blade I thought it had been messed with. The guy gave it to me for $40. Ha. Then I found out they were all ordered blued for WW1. It is pristine and this pic sucks (as most of mine do!). The hospital bolo was $75 at another show. They are pretty spendy now. I saw one new in wrap recently but they wanted $1500 for it. 5 years ago? Hellz yeah. But not now.

I've been buying military blades since I was a kid.

·
Registered
351 Posts
M14sRock,
Top photo, 4th bayo from the left. Can you tell me anything about it? I've got the same one (found it in my grandfathers basement) but I've never been able to find any info on it.
Thanks.

Gimlet
USMC-1

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M14sRock,
Top photo, 4th bayo from the left. Can you tell me anything about it? I've got the same one (found it in my grandfathers basement) but I've never been able to find any info on it.
Thanks.

Gimlet
USMC-1
That is a French Gras bayo. It will have some beautiful writing on the back of the blade that will include the year it was made. I think the Gras bayo is one of the most beautiful bayos made, and if you are so inclined, the brass pommel polishes up beautifully. They are not rare, or very valuable. A really nice one with matching, undented scabbard (and free of rust) might gor for just north of $150. Generally they can be had for about $80-$100 in decent shape.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a couple of closer pics of the Argentinian 1909s.

And, yes, the wood on the one in the middle is as nice as it looks in the pic.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This K98 bayo is a Berg &Co from 1944. Matching scabbard. It was brought home from WW2 when my stepfather came home. He carried in in the car for "emergency work" for many years.

The hunting knife is a Swedish knife (gotta check the name) that he bought the day he was discharged. It has cleaned untold numbers of deer, hogs and various other game. As well as chopping trees and camp chores. He gave it to me about 10 years ago. The orig sheath lasted 50+years, and the he made this one.

·
Registered
557 Posts
That is a French Gras bayo. It will have some beautiful writing on the back of the blade that will include the year it was made. .
I have one of these I was given as a kid by a friend of my father. It is an 1877, and I think the writing is actually the name of the arsenal.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have one of these I was given as a kid by a friend of my father. It is an 1877, and I think the writing is actually the name of the arsenal.
You are correct. Beautiful bayonets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts