M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I did a search and some of my questions were answered while others were not. Please be patient as I am a M1A newbie.

I am looking to get my first M1A. I want a rifle that is basically a 100% USGI-spec M14, but Semi-Auto-Only, obviously. I want an LRB as they are the only AMERICAN forged-receiver rifle out there and from doing reading on the 'net, probably the best one out there.

Anyway, I have some questions:

1: How long is the wait to get one after ordering? I have heard 2-3 months. Is this true? I am not concerned about the wait, but just want to have a general idea.

2: On their complete builds it says they use either Wilson or Criterion barrels. I have heard that Criterion barrels are the finest out there, hands-down, and that Wilson barrels tend to drift POI when they got hot. Is this true? Can I (should I) specifically ask for a Criterion barrel?

3: The LRB website lists "Shot Show Special" pricing at $1889 + $30 for Chrome-Lining, which to me is a requirement. So $1920 for a complete rifle. However, I may or may not be in a position to buy before the end of the month, so if I decide to order later, does anyone know what their "regular" pricing is? Relatedly, if I were to order now, but my rifle doesn't ship until 2 or 3 months later, would I get charged at order or at shipping? If at shipping, I should be good to order now.

Thanks in advance. I recently got exposed to the M1A (actually it was a buddy's transferrable M-14) and now I just HAVE to have one. I do want one with Da Switch, but can't afford it. :(

·
Registered
795 Posts
Call and talk to Lou,,, very nice guy and easy to talk to... shipping depends on supply and demand,,, best to ask him.. I got mine in short order....

·
Registered
223 Posts
I made my order with Lou for a complete rifle with a chromed barrel on Dec 12 - he did not ask for payment and ffl info until January, then he completed the rifle and sent it off on the 26th of Jan. I just picked the rifle up, and it is beatiful, all USGI except for the barrel. I would give a call/email to Lou - he would be happy to answer any of your questions!

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
FWIW, all barrels shift POI when they get hot. A standard contor barrel will heat up faster than a medium or heavy one will. Same goes for bolt action, lever and pump rifles. I'm sure you will be happy with a rifle built by Lou.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would call Lou first and explain your situation. I'm sure he'll work with you.

When I ordered my barreled receiver, I enclosed a certified check with my dealer's FFL. Can't remember how long it took to receive it, but it didn't take long. I also had him to install the small parts such as bolt catch, sights, etc. since he had them. That kept me from having to find those parts. I already had the major parts.

Joe A.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered a barreled action in late Dec., received call 2 to 3 weeks later it was ready to ship. Got a Wilson barrel, I didn't specify since neither is a medium or heavy match grade. All of my Department's M14's, (1 Winchester, 1 TRW, 1 H&R ) shift POI if one doesn't allow the barrel to cool after a few shots. My heavy barreled Rem 700 in 25-06 will do the same, just not as quickly since there is more metal and it takes longer to heat up.
I've never seen an accuracy comparison done by anyone on the board between Criterion and Wilson, anyone out there that has definite proof one is better thatn the other?

·
Registered
646 Posts
barrel

Krieger stainless steel, bubba. I'll try to post pics of mine with some rapid fire targets. You'll find out real quick this board is the best 'cause there is such a broad experience base to it. Opinions on the details will vary but the concensus remains true to the M-14!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
:D I was lucky I placed an order on Feb.2. I did not want a chrome lined barrel. Unfortunate for those that do want the chrome-Lou has been waiting for them to be produced. Since he already had a wilson carbon steel barrel,I was able to pick my gun up last week. I'm glad I did, when everyone finds out how incredible that receiver is the wait will only be longer and longer. Plus,Lou is a complete gentleman,answers all questions and is a straight shooter. Buy with confidence. I fired the rifle yesterday and was very surprised in fact. With a standard weight barrel,no gas system mods-the rifle was very consistent. I was so pleased I faxed Lou the target's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.