M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
My very first CMP M1, a Dec. 44 SA with the original barrel, took several hours, a can & half of carb cleaner, a tooth brush and lots of wiping to get all the cosmoline off of it.

None of them I bought after that required anywhere near that much cleaning time/effort.

My best shooting M1 is a rack grade Greek return also made in Dec. 44 at SA. But it came back with an LMR barrel on it. Ragged looking finish in a ragged looking stock and what looked like a hand made lower handguard that was cracked - but it shoots like a match rifle after putting it in a new stock.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Does the LOA state Greek Issue?
In the beginning CMP would put origin of county on certificates, then they stopped. CMP wouldn't even tell you were they were coming from. They are not rare to be Greek returns in fact some of the nicest rifles CMP sold were Greek returns .

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
... They are not rare to be Greek returns in fact some of the nicest rifles CMP sold were Greek returns .
Aye, and some of the not-so-nicest. I got one of those RGs with the blocky beech stock, and a heavy black finish, packed full of weird yellow grease. The nice ones were very nice, but the others...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Aye, and some of the not-so-nicest. I got one of those RGs with the blocky beech stock, and a heavy black finish, packed full of weird yellow grease. The nice ones were very nice, but the others...
What do you expect for a Rack Grade?? That's why they were the cheapest Garands available. Sounds as though yours matched the grade description.

Rack Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many digs, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge more than “5”. The overall appearance and condition of the rack grade will generally be rougher than any other grade. Fair condition.
Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts