M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Its said they are prone to cracked receivers. Some say only if you try to rebarrel, because they were put on too tight. Others say you may encounter small cracks at any time. I think in general they are fine, I have owned a couple of them. But a Rem or Win is more desirable and yes I know Rem owned the Eddystone plant, but most consider them separately.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,703 Posts
I have heard all the P14/M1917's were barreled to tight, it is best to chuck them in a lathe and turn a relief cut in the barrel just in front of the receiver to take tension of before you try to remove a original barrel. A buddy of mine had a Eddystone that shot great.

Casey

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys offering me an original Winchester that hasn’t been rebuilt all “W” stamped parts for $1200. Is that too high?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Forum rules don’t allow for much in the way of specific value advice. But I will say that a 1917 that hasn’t been arsenal rebuilt and retains all of it’s “W” marked parts and hardware would be a pretty special find.

I would recommend checking out current and especially completed Gunbroker sales for comparable M1917s to get a feel for what people are actually paying right now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advise in the meantime I’ve done some looking and it’s a decent deal I think. Depending on it all checking out. None the less it’ll be a nice rifle muzzle gauges at a 1.

I’m going with the Winchester Enfield I found from a fella on CMP FFL I’m so I’ve adjusted the ad and have listed the M1A for sale now at $1260 shipped.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
i dont want to rain on parades but i cant see a M1A with that high of a serial number bringing out much of a trade.
As for the 1260 thats not a bad price in today's market should sell fast

Reactions: 15636215

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont want to rain on parades but i cant see a M1A with that high of a serial number bringing out much of a trade.
As for the 1260 thats not a bad price in today's market should sell fast
No you are correct no hits although it was only a day! I decided to go with that winchester enfield.
Hoping someone can put the M1a to good use!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts