M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could go with a receiver mount but wanted to try the front rail system too. I have a picatinny extension in, and a cantilever mount for my crossfire II 2x7 scout scope.
it feels sturdy enough, and my sight picture with my cheek riser is perfect. Want to hear other recommendations / advice

Attachments

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I can't tell if you're serious, but anyway, this is just my opinion...

That looks way too high, structurally unstable, and the SAI barrel mount isn't a particularly good barrel mount. I also think it looks kind of ridiculous, which isn't necessarily bad in itself, but coming from me... well...

I would suggest a real scope mount. Forum favorites seem to be Sadlak, Bassett, and ARMS. I also like the ******* Yankee Dual Sight Mount, though it does require that you are both willing to work with JB weld to set the groove lugs, and can follow directions in doing so, and it looks unconventional. Some love it, some pass, to each their own.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
I wouldn't expect it to last any length of time, it might work well for you but I wouldn't want it on my rifle. I used to sell Vortex optics regularly and I just don't recommend the Crossfire or Diamondback scopes unless you are really stuck for cash.

My first question is how is it that you can be happy with that scope so close to your face, it's a 9.5" eye relief scope and you've probably got no more than 2" of eye relief when you shoot.

The main issue I have with your setup is that any cantilever system amplifies the recoil vibrations so everything needs to be fastened well. That extension makes things even worse. The original factory short rail isn't really fastened well to the rifle and they weren't designed to handle the stresses of a cantilever setup. I expect that the short rail will loosen and the extension fasteners wont hold tight.

My other expectation is that the scope will probably fail pretty quickly, the Crossfires aren't all that well made and that cantilever system is going to amplify the forces that the scope has to endure. A typical scope on a .30 caliber hunting rifle experiences several hundred pounds of bending forces, you can see the scope tube bend in a high speed video. The M1A has several major force/momentum events, one when the rifle recoils, another when the operating system functions, and another when the bolt slams home. All of those slamming/banging events will pound the scope more than a typical rifle does.

Since you've set it up I'd use it but watch it closely for the first several hundred rounds and look for loosening parts or scope problems. If it continues to work then enjoy your setup, if it fails then you might want to think about some other configuration.

·
Registered
All gun laws are unconstitutional
6,840 Posts
i would opt for a fixed power optic, leupold makes a fixed 6x
Bushnell did make a fixed 10x in japan
And swfa has current production fixed power scopes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts