M14 Forum banner

Socom with M1Army custom stock

4306 23
I wanted to make sure to show off some of his hard work. The cell phone pictures don’t do it justice, M1Army exceeded my expectations on this. If you’re looking for a stock, do not hesitate in contacting him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow , thats a great looking Stock , what type of Wood ?, Was it your Stock or was it purchased from him ? what was the cost , if I may ask ?

The stock was a Winchester Big Red, and it’s Birch. He gives you a bunch of his stocks to choose from, based upon what you’re looking for, and then goes to work on them. Cost is based upon what you’re looking for, and I think can float between $400 - $500 give or take, but, you would need to verify with M1Army for a quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
514 Posts
That's a great looking rifle - well done!!

Is that a real butt pad on the back?

How does it shoot? There are lot's of posts on this sight with guys having accuracy issue with the scout at longer ranges.

· Super Moderator
3,991 Posts
Hi All,

Below find the original post I made "in the stock forum" that outlines the progression for the refinish and addition of the custom recoil pad on this stock.

Once you read the information below the goal was to reduce the Length of Pull from about 13" which is about standard for the M14 to ~11 1/2" which was a request of the new owner. This required cutting the back of the USGI stock and installing a Pachmayer 750B grind to fit recoil pad. I picked the Pachmayer pad as the thinner version of this same pad is what is used on the XM25 McMillan stocks.

As far as the question on pricing for any of my custom stocks [when I do sell one] the final cost is dependent on the actual stock picked. Each stock was hand picked and has a different cost basis [pricing can range from about $350 - to near $500 just depending on the stock and work needed].

This should answer most questions you have on this stock and the journey to completion.

M1Army

==========================================

Original Post in Stock Forum

Hi Everyone,

I worked with a forum member on a project that resulted in him picking out one of my highly figured Winchester Big Red Stocks, but the objective was to reduce the Length of Pull "LOP" from about 13" -> [which is about standard on the M14] to something closer to 11 1/2" which was the preferred LOP for this particular shooter.

I know some just want to see the finished project so......Here is the final finished stock and set-up [shown locked-up in my Scout Squad for test fitting and pictures] - BUT KEEP READING IF YOU WANT TO SEE MORE!

We went through a process to look at some stocks and narrowed it down to one very good candidate that I hand picked from Fred's during my last run before the sold off inventory to Treeline.

Here is the Winchester Big Red Stock in raw unfinished condition [Our Starting Point]

Next - I used my process to repark the front ferrule and front swivel.

Next - after giving the stock a nice Soy Gel Bath, steaming out dents and reparking the front hardware - I performed the necessary tactical sanding to remove some sins of the past but taking care to never change the classic lines of the M14 stock [note nothing is rounded off and all angles are sharp].

The next step was the hardest for me because I had to cut the back part of the butt stock off -> to reduce the LOP on an Elite Winchester Big Red Stock! After measuring about TEN times I used my chop-saw to make a perfect cut across the rear butt stock to reduce length of pull being careful to retain the rear sling swivel.

The next step was to fit the new recoil pad on the stock before I started the stock refinishing. I decided to use the Packmayr 750B Decelerator Large 1" Pad - the smaller width version of this recoil pad is used on the XM25 rifles and I always liked the basket weave pattern so I decided to use the same pattern on this project. I had to cut-off a pretty good piece of the stock to clear the recessed section that the standard M14 butt plate occupies and to get to the right LOP, then I used the 1" Packmyer Pad to get to my 11 1/2" LOP.

I used the Miles Gilbert fixture -> to set the Toe and Comb stock angles to grind the Packmayr 750 Decelerator Pad to match the angles of the M14 stock. Below is a pic right after I finished the custom grind and removed it from the fixture.

Here is a pic after I cut the stock -> and did the initial test fit on the unfinished stock.

Here is a pic after applying the first coat of teak oil - you can clearly see how the rear of the stock was cut-off to reduce the LOP. The cut was clean and straight.

I mixed up a custom mix of Stew Max Stain to bring out the most in the amazing grain mother nature provided and assembled the Packmayr custom ground Decelerator Pad and here are some more pics of the finished product.

M1Army

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a great looking rifle - well done!!

Is that a real butt pad on the back?

How does it shoot? There are lot's of posts on this sight with guys having accuracy issue with the scout at longer ranges.

It’s a real pad, and works great, nice and grippy.

I was happy with it’s ability at 100” kneeling with 168 TAP and Gold Medal Match, I have this one set up more for a 100 yard and in gun. With the RMR it pops on target really quickly, and is a great time to run.

The only upgrade that I’ve made is a Sadlak piston.

Thank you for the complements.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts