M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
M1A M14 Socom
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to mount a suppressor on my Socom. What do I need to get to do this? I am not worried about the front sight. I am going to mount a scope or a red dot. Going to try both to see which one I like better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Want to mount a suppressor on my Socom. What do I need to get to do this? I am not worried about the front sight. I am going to mount a scope or a red dot. Going to try both to see which one I like better.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
You will need one of the threaded adapters above. Then you need to figure out the control of the gas system for reliable cycling of the action.

·
Registered
M1A M14 Socom
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. That sure makes it simple!

Reactions: hodgexj1996

·
Registered
M1A M14 Socom
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
You will need one of the threaded adapters above. Then you need to figure out the control of the gas system for reliable cycling of the action.
Thank you! I have already started doing that. Found a couple of ways to go on the gas question.

Reactions: hodgexj1996

·
Registered
209 Posts
When it comes to suppressing the M1A variant of rifles there’s a little more to it than just bolting on the 5/8X24 adapter, adding and adjustable gas plug and blasting away.

You also need to make sure that when everything is assembled your silencer is concentric with the bore.

These 5/8X24 adapters from Delta Precision and Smith Enterprises tighten down on the face of the muzzle.

If your muzzle face is not “Square” the adapter will pull to one side When you tighten it down and your can will be off center to the bore and you run the risk of getting baffle/endcap strikes.

You also need to be aware of “tolerance” stacking when suppressing a rifle especially a rifle like M1A where you’re adding and adapter to attach your can or fast attach device too.

For those that have never heard the term Tolerance Stacking as it is used when suppressing a firearm; this is an issue where your muzzle threads are off by a thousandth, (in the case of the M1A) your muzzle face isn’t square by a thousandth, the threads on your adapter that screw onto the rifle are off by a thousandth, the shoulder that your can tightens to on the adapter is off by a thousandth, the threads on the adapter that your can or new muzzle brake/fast attachment device threads onto are off by a thousandth, the threads on your can are off by a thousandth and the mating surface on your can tightens to the adapter/new brake are off by a thousandth.

All these points/parts being off by a thousandth of an inch adds up and when everything is assemble your can won’t be concentric to the bore and (again) you risk damaging you can if you neglect to check alignment.

And seeing is how you can’t check alignment from the breech end of the rifle on the M1A the shooter will need to check alignment from the muzzle.

I have been down this road before, I set my scout squad up for an AAC 762SDN6 about 10 years ago, I got it all put together, everything looked good to go and my first shots missed the target by 2 feet (low) at 100 yards.

I had to break everything down send it to a gunsmith to diagnose and it was determined that the muzzle face wasn’t square and he took care of it.

After that it was good to go:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts