M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am on the fence about my next purchase. I like the Socom 16 (not so much for the Socom II, too many rails) but have heard issues of non standard parts used and limited upgrades at the current time. The 16" just looks appeals to me, have not actually held one yet. I also like the Scout, but only want to buy one.

Do you guys the own a Socom 16 wish you had bought the Scout with the 18" barrel and more compatable parts?

Thanks,
Scott E.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I had a SOCOM 16 for about 6 months before I traded it for a Bush Rifle in a walnut GI stock. Never looked back. Much more versatile. MY AR-15 and my Russian SKS fill my EBR needs sufficiently.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I went with the Scout. I put a GLFS and direct connect FS so it's only 39" long. A SOCOM is 37.25". I'm happy as can be GI2

·
Registered
34 Posts
What do you want to use it for? That should be the question you ask yourself. If you want close range say out to 200-300yds get the socom beyond that range get the scout or a full size. I personally gave a scout I love the damn thing it handles good has low recoil and the scout mount us killler. Put all of that in a vltor or an arrington accuracy spw stock and you have everything the socom can do with a little extra weight for more range. But I digress every weapon is a give and take more weight less recoil. Shorter barrel less range. Look around this forum at any post ank ask yourself What do I want thus rifle to do? That's my .02 .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I prefer the Scout

I prefer the scout for versatility. If you were to have to tote a rifle around for whatever reason, you get a good compromise with this model. I have tried a few things that have worked pretty well. I don't keep this setup, but I tried it with the Aimpoint on a 45 degree picatinny and an Accupoint on top. I guess I have too much free time but it was a nice combo with the red dot sighted at 100 and the other at 300. A little bulky and heavy, but it can be done if a paranoid individual such as myself needed it. I have had some good groups at 400 yards (that's the longest I have tried to date). That is a big stretch for a 16 1/4" SOCOM.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
I love my SOCOM 16, it is everything I thought it would be...now that I've fixed all the little problems that it had...and now that I'm getting my reloads figured out. DI2

Actually I do love the rifle and if you want the shortest version of a M1A rifle then it is the only option. But to be honest it isn't for the faint of heart or those who just want to shoot it and go on with life. I've done a lot of changes to mine but assuming you just want to buy a SOCOM 16 with a standard stock my guess is you will get somewhere around 3" groups at 100 yards and the short barrel will limit your reloading options somewhat (the range of bullet/powder options is smaller with that short barrel). On the other hand, if you are willing to tweak the rifle a little, you can get groups that are very respectable for a gas gun (I'm getting a little more than an inch at 100 yards right now). Most of the group size problems seem to be that there are some fairly obvious fitment issues with the hand guard, stock, and front band. Almost all of the SOCOM 16s that I have seen have all kinds of contact points between these parts and these cause the barrel to be unduly influenced by recoil and harmonics. Most of these contact points can be removed with some simple sanding or careful Dremel work.

I have a Standard M1A with a 22" barrel and the SOCOM 16 with the 16.25" barrel and I honestly don't think that the average shooter would see any difference between the accuracy and capability of the two (now that I've gotten the SOCOM tweeked). By average shooter I mean the person who pops off 50 or 100 rounds out in the sticks at bottles and cans and such at no more than 100 yards. But if you are interested in accuracy at longer ranges then you will definitely see a difference between shorter and longer barrels (and here is where I always seem to cause an argument so please, if you disagree with then take this for what it's worth because I'm not getting in to a discussion publicly about it) but not because the longer barrel is any more accurate but because it allows faster muzzle velocities and that will enhance long range accuracy.

That being said, I don't believe that there is enough difference in barrel length from 16.25" to 18" to make a reasonable difference nor do I believe that the overall length difference means anything in real life so the only valid difference, as far as I'm concerned, is the versatility of ammunition that will work with one vs. the other and in that case I have to give a slight edge to the longer barrel. As far as commercial ammo goes I have tried 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match in my SOCOM 16 and I have gotten nice 100 yard groups (1.25" or so from a bench rest) and I can only assume that if you had a Scout that has been tweaked in a similar manner as my SOCOM you would get as good or better groups. But if you reload then I am positive that you can come up with a greater variety of bullet weights and powder charge weights for the 18" barrel than you can for the 16.25" barrel.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I went with a SOCOM because I wanted an M14 Platform and I found a guy who would trade my MP5 Clone for his SOCOM 16. Had I known then what I know now... I would have invested in USGI parts right out of the gate. I love the SOC16, I love the size, but dont use it as a reach out and touch someone rifle. I changed out the brake with a Medieval Brake from Troy, USGI Op Rod, M1 Garand Winter safety, and USGI Hammer. I will continue to collect parts and create a reach out and touch someone M1A, but for right now, my SOC16 fills its role of a trail and HD weapon.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I love my Socom 16 for close in work, it's one of the best hog guns I own. It's great for stalking in the bush, very quick to get on target. I replaced the OEM extractor along with all the bolt guts. That fixed me right up with any issues I was having, it's been 100% since.

I was looking for a Scout when I picked up the Socom, if you can only afford one M1A the Scout is probably a better option. If not get one (or more) each favor.GI6

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had a Socom 16 and was not very accurate with it. Currently have a 18.5" SEI Scout rifle and this is my favorite configuration of the three barrel lengths. Accurate to 700 yards, portable, and lighter. It's not a 1000 yard gun, but will keep me out of reach of 400 to 500 yards guns in tactical scenarios.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my sodom a few months back.......and i love it! but i understand what it should be used for. as stated before it's not going to be the 500-600 yard gun. if you can live that, your good to go. plus when you really get down to the brass tacks, all of the M1A's Rock!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got my SOCOM several years ago and love it. It functions perfectly and except for replacing the muzzle break with a SEI one all I've done is shoot it. It handles well and gets about a 3-4" group at 100yds with cheap ammo. I recently got a scout size rifle with a 18" barrel and now I never take out the SOCOM. The new rifle with a SEI direct connect muzzle break is about the same length and handle as well, is quieter and it shoots much better. So even though the SOCOM is a great weapon, I would have to recommend the scout.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The stock Socom sights are not what I'd call "long range" sights but the only reason the gun itself isn't is superstition. Trade out the sights for the match sights usually found on the Scout if you can't make the big ones work and you'll be good. The difference in velocity between the Socom and the Standard MAY be pronounced but the difference between the Socom and Scout not so much. The parts are compatable except for the brake/supressor unit. Can you imagine the parts nightmare on the assembly line if the major components for each rifle had differences to them? For the first rifle I'd buy the one you want.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I bought a Socom16 when my Poly was out getting re-barreled to Scout. I shoot both the same amount and while I've got glass on the Scout, I prefer the 16 with irons for sub-200 shooting. The scout with glass off works just fine also. So for me it is a toss up as I shot 500+ rds. through the Soc16 prior to getting my scout back and the sight picture isn't an issue for me. The STD per-ban does all the safe sitting but I suspect when I get my shoulder up to par I'll dance with her more.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
A pictures worth a thousand words?

To answer your question..... No, I am doing just fine with my Socom 16.

Glenn

·
Registered
104 Posts
almost went down that path

I fell in love with the M1A a few years back when the Rifleman magazine put the (then) new SOCOM 16 on the cover. Wow!
An all black, hot-lookin' rifle!
I went to some shows, held a few rifles, THEN noticed the Scout version. It appealed to me just a tad bit more (researching this site helped in the decision), but the Standard just looked like it has a tad too much barrel overhang. Ha, judging a rifle by its 'looks', I know...
Anyway, when I went to pick up the rifle at the gun store, the fella asks me how I came into the M1A world and I mentioned the SOCOM. He said most every Scout that he had sold went to someone who had first seen the SOCOM, but then noticed the Scout. Sorta like dating the hot chick, then marrying her sister...
-Smack-

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I originally had a Scout on order, production was some months off (according to SAI) so I headed down to the shop to buy the loaded I knew they had. They had a Socom16 hanging on the wall beneath it and... well, the rest is history.

I am very, very pleased with my Socom, I have not had any of the problems some of the others have been plagued with. I am running a stock SAI bolt with a Sadlak piston and spring guide. In fact, I ran about 500 rounds through it this weekend, all mixed surplus and developmental handloads with a little factory mixed in, even the remaining steel-cased crap I bought by mistake... and it flowed like water through the Socom without nary a hiccup. No serious accuracy work but casual groups at about 50-60M in the 1.25-2.0" range, depending on the round (and the wind... GI4 )

I dropped mine in wood (much like GeePee's) with a ventilated handguard (I removed the rail...) and it's the cat's meow to me. I didn't buy it to poke holes beyond 300M, I will be developing a different platform for that duty, but in the 25-60M range, prone, kneeling or standing, slow or rapid fire... I can't miss with accuracy and rate equal to my AR.

In hindsight, if I would have taken home a Scout I would be sitting here extolling the virtues of the Scout... I think they are both fine weapon platforms. Determine your need and choose your weapon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys are giving me great information about the Scocom and the Scout. I guess that I would be happy with either of these fine rifles. I am not looking for super long range tack driver, but also would want to hit what I am shooting at (damn eyes are getting old).

I guess if i come across a great deal in either rifles I would seriously consider either.

Let's keep this thread going, give me some feedback from the Scocom or Scout debate.

Thanks,
Scott E.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Mine's a custom build but so far I really like the scout length setup. It'll hit what I aim at from 0 to 800 yards as long as I do my part. Hopefully that doesn't change with the upcoming stock swap...

For the couple extra inches of OAL I'd rather have the velocity of the scout length. That's just me though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts