M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, this is the best M1A forum ever. I've got 300 rounds thru my Socom and notice paint & material being eroded from forward movement of op rod. Accuracy good but not as consistent as my Scout that has 5,000 rounds. Both have forward optics set @2.5x and use same 168 gr Hornady Amax. Both unitized gas system and bedded in wood stock. The Scout has a NM guide rod but the Socom had bunching up of op rod spring when NM guide rod installed....so it has standard rod. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Take a file and relieve the material(from the mount) until the op rod clears the next time it is out of the stock. Once satisfied, through some black paint on the mount(its aluminum) and call it good. I had to do this to my scout.

Not entirely uncommon.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
follow-up

In forward movement the op rod wears on the end of the scope mount that fastens to underside if barrel. Sorry I missed that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
banging op rod on mount

Thanks for the input fellers. I'm going to file it down and paint it. Still don't understand why the NM guide rod that works in my Scout will not work in my Socom. I may do a separate post on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts