M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NIB after aprox 80 rounds noted a nick in the oprod 12oclock aft of the reverse shaped "c" rad cut. Noted a minor contact with the receiver. Cked the oprod against a sak and a new 7.62mm op rod and noted minor BUT important machining diffrences. Rifle now has the 7.62mm oprod with no troubles. Anyone noticed poor quality parts comming out of SAI?. Oh yea contacted service dept at SAI...thay said shoot it till it breaks....not what I expect for a 1750.00 rifle retail.USAF2

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
It's normal for that to happen on the SA Inc. op rods. It's ugly and worrisome to most but once that area is peened you can just file it smooth and run it with no issues. Yours isn't the first it's happened to and sure won't be the last. Just file down the spot, cold blue it and keep it for a spare or sell it.

·
Banned
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What?

Yes, im bashing them for a junk part. I thought the idea of the Forum was make comments/ observation. Have I insulted you with my post?....Sorry if I did.USAF2

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It's your opinion that SAI's oprods are junk. I have a Springfield M1A that serves me very well. I have had ZERO problems with it.

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Sos this isn't all bad, I have a Springer that is downright gorgeous and it even works. GI2 Sorry you aren't thrilled to death Howard but if it shoots well, shoot it. Have you tried contacting SA to see what they will do to correct your dislike?

-

·
Banned
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Socom

I plan to shoot it...I have a new production m1a rifle and bought a 51Ksn sai all gi sans the receiver, both shoot/function ok. The new forged bolts seem fine, the weak link that I have obs is oprod and spring guides, other then that its ok. As a foot note the 7.62mm op rod fits little tight but functions fine.....I plan to buy a barrel receiver fron them soon.USAF2

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Just want to apologize to JMG, the mods and the general members here for my language earlier. It was out of line and uncalled for. If anyone was offended, I'm sorry.

No, I wasn't told to do this...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I noticed some peening on my SOCOM's operating rop adjacent to the semi-circle relief cut. There was some roughness and a slight burr raised where the rod was contacting the rifle's receiver. I "repaired" the roughness and removed the burr. Here is a photo AFTER the repair:

I note that with the rod fully to the rear, there is a small gap between the "flat" of the rod and the "flat" of the receiver (See the photo). I don't know if that's normal or not, but it doesn't seem to impact rifle function. I'm considering installing a buffer.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
That's weird it doesn't contact the receiver. No signs of anything stopping it? If it's that curve area then file it flat with the flat on the back of the op rod. The design is for the receiver front to stop the op rod the same time the heel stops the bolt.

It looks like the op rod may be riding up and stopping just past where you have it stopped. I see a faint line there. Like I said, file it flat with the back of the op rod there so the op rod stays in line.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The op rod on my Socom16 was hitting in 2 places... just forward of the radius (as shown in Good Guy's photo, same location,) and where the op rod cantilevers down to go into the gas lock, it was hitting the rear edge of the optics mount.

I removed the optic mount anyway, so that problem is solved. I'm not that concerned about the burr at the radius, I'm planning on relieving it a tad with the Dremel and be done with it.

If you think of all the parts that go together, many sourced from outside suppliers, assembled at the tolerances required in a high-performance firearm, it's not surprising you find something that isn't perfect. If I can't fix it myself (and I don't mind, it makes my weapon Mine) SAI has a lifetime warranty and I'll take them at their word.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The op rod on my Scout was getting peened in the same area against the receiver. I took a fine diamond file and smoothed it out. I don't think its a big deal.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
My SAI op rod had the same peening but performed well. I did replace it but still have it for a spare and wouldn't have a problem using it if needed. I do agree with one of the above posters that the SAI bolt in my loaded is performing very well. So well that I haven't replaced it although I have a NIW TRW bolt ready and waiting. My vote here is that you dremel and blue it then press on. Use the money you save for ammo or other more needed mods.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Please send me all of the "junk" Springfield Armory parts
that you don't want.

BIGTHUMPUP
I'll take whatever Captain America doesn't want MCORPS1MCORPS1FRG1

I have two recent production SAI rifles that have a total of over 5K rounds downrange without so much as a hiccup . .

·
Registered
607 Posts
If your worried about the parts there are some really great guys on here that will occasionally part with a USGI Anything. Ive had more than a few help me out, when my Op Rod cracked in half, a member offered me a USGI at a good price - and some great advice for free! When I was looking for an M1 Garand Winter Safety, another PM from a great guy on this board, oh and when I wanted a Hammer because they seemed to be shattering, BAM! another PM . Sometimes you even get goodies, like a sling and stuff - just because!

The Purpose of the Board is to complain, vent, solve, and shoot, and it generally works!

Back on topic, Op Rods and Hammers seemed like they were going left and right a few months ago, Get some USGI (or aftermarket equivilent) and trust me you wont regret it. I keep all my spare stuff just in case I need one. Hope this helps!

Charles "Chip" Pinder

·
Registered
188 Posts
I installed a Buffer Technologies buffer on my SOCOM 16 over the weekend. I think that will help protect both the operating rod and receiver for awhile.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts