M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back at the end of August, I picked up a Socom. I've shot it some, but due to all the hunting seasons coming up quick, I pretty much tried a couple of loads, created a baseline and haven't done much else.

Last couple of days up here have been frigid. 20-30 winds, and plain unpleasant to be doing anything truly productive. I decided to do some swapping around. The socom came with the reconstituted noodle plastic stock. I've been wanting to get another USGI fiberglass as I didn't care for the fit for the one I had (Pretty good gap between the ferrule and front band and not much draw tension on the lip of the front band--never did try it out beyond dropping the action in). So I dug out the Boyd's stock that came with my scout (never used). I kind of forgot what the damn thing looked like.

Trigger guard tension was a little heavy and I wasn't sure if it was going to work. It fits tight, but I think it is on the upper end but within reasonable. Other than that, stock fits the gun beautifully! Now, to dig out the fiberglass front handguard and get that front mount off.

I believe that this stock now belongs to this gun. The million dollar question, which I'm sure has been asked 1000 (or more times before) is what should I use to protect the wood without creating a gloss? I hate to be banging it up in the woods, but hell, its just going to sit in the corner if I don't use it. I kind of like the Boyd's profile in my hand (sorry if that's sacrilege).

Hopefully it is better out this weekend, because now I have to play around with some different loads and see how it shoots (should be an improvement.)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Nice pony!

and puppy!

louie, out!

Reactions: Patchhound

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just sold my VLTOR stock, and put a Boyds stock on my SOCOM as well. I love it. Just waiting on a rubber buttpad from Springfield, and then she's complete. Pics will follow as soon as I have a place outside to take them that isn't covered in snow.
And I'm also in Michigan right now. West side, between Muskegon and Ludington. its been tough keeping the house warm, even with the fire roaring.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice pony!

and puppy!

louie, out!
The puppy is Buddy the adoptobeagle. I got him when he was 10(back in 2010). Never been in a house before then, I think he likes it. I was looking for a flat surface where I could get my camera to work and you can tell he wasn't too thrilled with having to scooch over to get a picture.DI2

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just sold my VLTOR stock, and put a Boyds stock on my SOCOM as well. I love it. Just waiting on a rubber buttpad from Springfield, and then she's complete. Pics will follow as soon as I have a place outside to take them that isn't covered in snow.
And I'm also in Michigan right now. West side, between Muskegon and Ludington. its been tough keeping the house warm, even with the fire roaring.
I've got one of those recoil pads. Depending on your length of pull, it might come in handy. For me, it seemed to be a tad bit too long.

Hoping the weather is not completely useless this weekend. Were supposed to have a warm up just in time for freezing rain Thursday. If it isn't inclement on Saturday, I'm looking forward to getting it out. I'll fit the handguard after I get a few groups as is. I've got a long break this Christmas, so I plan on getting my round count up on a couple pieces of iron.

I was thinking of getting some sort of carnauba based minwax or something to protect the stock.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah, I just dont like how slippery the metal one that I have is, and I remember that SA rubber one was nice, so I figure I'll try it. I normally like a very short LOP, but I can manage. This is not my room clearing rifle... usually.
But I know that handguard/stock contact is bad... mine contacts pretty much the whole way on both sides. I havent modified it yet, but I was thinking the slight impact in accuracy would not be noticed on such a short, non scoped rifle. It wears a Trijicon RMR, so its not a long range gun.

EDIT: my rubber buttpad came in today and I installed it. took a slight amount of sanding to the wood stock to fit, but its great now. I much prefer it to the metal, and it only adds .5" to the LOP. The only downside therefore is the closure of the storage compartment, no biggie.
On a side note, I checked my handguard/stock fit, and they actually dont toch... I ran a piece of paper the entire length without issue. they are just THAT close that I cant see a gap. Cool!

·
Registered
33 Posts
That really dresses it up. I'll have to look at Boyd's options. Better looking than synthetic crinkle stock it comes with for sure!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Tru-oil or Tung Oil will give you the best protection. Just knock the shine down with extra fine steel wool after each coat.

And Fulton Armory sells the Boyd's walnut handguard. Really make the Socom come together in walnut.

Reactions: Patchhound

·
Banned
2,951 Posts
Patchhound and Dire88,
Those are both nice looking rifles!
Dire88,
What flash hider is that and did it require any mod?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Patchhound and Dire88,
Those are both nice looking rifles!
Dire88,
What flash hider is that and did it require any mod?
Thanks
It's an SEI Vortex. Requires the SEI SOCOM Gas Lock.

Used it ran me about $250 for the gas lock, vortex, muzzle brake, and SEI gas plug. All you need are the gas lock and the flash hider though.

Reactions: NORKALNIMROD

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I figured I would share a couple of pics. Well, after playing with a few different stocks, I think I'm finally settled. I decided to try a USGI fiberglass, and no matter what I did (without bedding it), I couldn't get a good fit. I have another fiberglass that I may try in the future (the legs fit better for/aft in that one but it will require some clearing at the gas cylinder). Thank you guys for the pointers on how to treat the wood. I would also like to thank KurtC for a lot of the pointers he's given me over the past couple of months. It's been a journey and I've learned a little bit.

I've been doing some tinkering and trying to get an improvement in my groups. Floated the handguard, shimmed gas cylinder, with the biggest help being a better fitting stock.

Here is a 100M group off the bench using the factory irons. It isn't pretty, but thought I would share. I've gotten better ones, but I was trying a new load for the 125 TNT last weekend using Benchmark. I have some more things to try on the load itself. 10 shot, 9 on the page(doubled one hole at 6:30 in the black), dummy here jerked one low(I blame the mosquitoes). Two different setups. 5 shots each. I ran out of daylight, so I'll have to adjust the sights in this weekend. I like the velocity range I'm getting with this load (2800). Need to do some better work with the brass. Sorting brass is a big deal with all loads if you want the best performance, buy my limited experience with this gun is that the light bullets are really sensitive to neck tension.

Getting my first set of corrective lenses helped also. (I think the wheels are falling off.....) I had a "Thats what a sight picture is supposed to look like!" moment.

I should have gotten some pics of the difference in 125gr groups on my Dad's SR762 with and without a slight kiss of the crimp(2.5-3 to less than 1 with a slight crimp), which I think is kind of a bandaid for not sorting and using the correct bushing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts