M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gents, I've been a lurker here for awhile now, but I finally have something to post. I am the second owner of a Socom II and am having problems with short stroking. I have the TM and have attempted to address all of the problems listed in the troubleshooting section.

My question is this: While troubleshooting, I noticed that the gas port hole didn't quite line up all the way with the hole in the gas cylinder (About 1/2 hole showing when looking through bottom of gas cylinder). Upon taking the front end apart, I discovered a small silver washer behind the front band. With that removed, the gas port hole lines up perfectly now, but the front muzzle break/gas cylinder lock is a teeny bit loose...

I haven't got to test fire it after removing the washer just yet. Does anyone know if this washer is suppossed to be there? Do you think this will fix my problem of not picking the next round up (aka short stroking)??

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
What you discribed would cause short stroking and the washer you found may or may not supposed to be there depending on certain conditions. It sounds like an incorrect attempt to shim the gas system......do a search on "shimming" how to and why for and everything you will need to know is here on this forum. cheers

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
That washer is a shim and you can purchase them as a package, several shims of different thicknesses in each package. Whoever put the shim in did not use the proper thickness. Normally you use a shim that tightens up the front so that the gas cylinder lock tightens properly while not covering any more than maybe a third of the gas port. You can also try flipping the gas lock over so that the other face meets the gas cylinder, this can improve the tightness of the front end too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all for the answers. I found a post about "shimming" on here that was very helpful. Unfortunately, I can't flip the gas lock around because it's a one-piece deal along with the brake on the Socom II. Now to order some shims....

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
Oops, sorry about that, I should have thought about it since I own a SOCOM 16.

Thanks all for the answers. I found a post about "shimming" on here that was very helpful. Unfortunately, I can't flip the gas lock around because it's a one-piece deal along with the brake on the Socom II. Now to order some shims....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.