M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a socom II my question is since I like open sights but would mind to put a semi tactical piece of glass on is there a way to do this without making it super bulky. The rear hood gets its picture looking down the channel of the picatiny rail. Is there mounts with a half moon cutout that would leave that area open.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a socom II my question is since I like open sights but would mind to put a semi tactical piece of glass on is there a way to do this without making it super bulky. The rear hood gets its picture looking down the channel of the picatiny rail. Is there mounts with a half moon cutout that would leave that area open.
I am not sure what you are asking when it comes to the "Is there mounts with a half moon cutout that would leave that area open".

This is the most compact option I have seen that still allows you to make use of Iron Sights, or at least the front sight post of the Iron Sights.

http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_CASM_MRD_Scope%20Mount.html

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im looking to put some glass on mine as well, any info would be great from anyone!
From what I have read from these sharp guys here, you need a really good understanding of how you want to use your rifle. The SOCOM 16 is intended to be a CQB type rifle, some use theirs more for mid distance range work, some even hunt with them.

As a CQB rifle simple aim point type sights are great and give you at least as good pick up and accuracy as the irons and if you add a magnifier like the EOTech 3x or 4x ones you are able to increase the range quickly and easily if needed.

This setup looks like this;

For greater accuracy at range and for those who are not interested in using their SOCOM as a CQB rifle, there are some other options. Extended Eye Relief Scout Scopes mount out in front of the receiver and are low magnification scopes. The Nikon Force XR 2.5-8x28mm is an example that RAMMAC uses and I plan to buy. At low magnification RAMAC says it is still very easy to use for shorter ranges and it allows good peripheral vision both eyes open sighting. Still it also allows increased magnification for longer ranged shooting out to the 400 meter range making it a good variable use option. Leatherwood and Leupold both offer good scout scope options as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are going to use your rifle for longer ranged shooting you may have to plan for some sort of check rest option in order that you can achieve a good cheek weld.

You may need a new handguard with longer sight rails if you go the EER route and if you do then you may be able to get away with a simple strap-on check rest which is what I expect I may need but will not know for sure until I get my scope mounted.

If you go with more traditional optics for greater magnification and want to turn your CQB rifle into more of a Battle Rifle then your scope mounting options will almost certainly require a more aggressive check rest solution and a new stock with a serious adjustable check rest will probably be needed.

Now this is what I have gleaned from the smart experienced guys here. If I have something wrong then please correct me because I am not too far down the expensive path of buying the optics that I can't switch directions if I am misunderstanding something.

One other thing about non CQB work, many people are replacing the SOCOM Irons with standard Irons as they are designed and built for "finer" work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check out this sweet optic for a SOCOM application. It is a 2.5X scope with a large reticle for close, but a smaller one for distance: https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_2_5X_Compact_Scope_PAC2_5X_p/pac2.5x.htm
It would be nice if there would be a way to use irons with this scope

They also have one in 1X-6X. It is nearly always sold out and they limit you to one per household lol: https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_6X_Scope_with_Patented_ACSS_Reticle_p/paps1-6x.htm

Also, on both scopes the reticle is etched in the glass, AND can be fully illuminated.

2.5X below

1X-6X below

1 - 9 of 9 Posts