M14 Forum banner

Socom front sight

4208 13
Gentlemen,

So I have done some searching on this forum and think I have an idea of what I need. I want to change the front sight on my Socom 16, but the question is how and where can I get a new thinner front sight post. I was hoping to just do a simple swap, but do I have to get new flash suppressor too to mount it on? From what I am reading you cannot simply just swap front sights due to height issues with a standard front sight post. I know this rifle is not a tack driver, but I like shooting irons and I have trouble getting a good group at 100M+ due to the thickness of the front sight. Lets hear some opinions.

with work and family I do not have the time to file it down.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
I went with the Vortex set up and a National Match front, both thru Smith Enterprise, and then stuck in a regular GI rear sight off GB.
Dropped my groups from about 8"-10" to 2"(on a good day) at 100 yards overnight and I got no complaints.

Couldn't stand that Socom sight arrangement and should have done it a year earlier. Couldn't see the tritium much anyway so it was all kinda useless to me, even the way it was designed for low light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, what exactly did you get for the vortex set up?? Are you referring to the Good Iron Socom 16 Kit? From what I understand you cannot just purchase a new suppressor because the sights are not on the suppressor.

I have spent alot of ammo trying to get good groups with the standard Socom system, but the sights just do not work for me.

Thanks alot

·
Registered
826 Posts
Item 2001v here, the kit you mention.
I believe it can be purchased with only a flash hider or compensator, but I got both.
As the picture on the left, at this link shows.... a .062NM sight. I got exactly what that picture shows.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.02.html

There is one other brand discussed here frequently, a similar type setup, although the method of installation is slightly different, I'm sure someone will post up or link to it so don't rush out to buy just yet.

But the Smith is a 100% quality product, you would have no complaints if you go with it. I did end up getting thier Socom gas plug after the fact, but that was just an impulse buy, it wasn't needed at all on my rifle.

·
Banned
3,055 Posts
I went with the Vortex set up and a National Match front, both thru Smith Enterprise, and then stuck in a regular GI rear sight...
I am using SEI's SOCOM kit with their M-14 Tritium Close Combat Sight
(TCCS) and a USGI in the back, but I have only used optics thus far.
The flash hider is a DC Vortex. A NM front sight could replace the TCCS.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
You do not have to purchase the kit. The parts are available individually. If you call SEI you will find them very helpful and you will also discover that they have parts not listed on their web page. I just purchased the SOCOM GLFS and a NM from sight to take care of the problem. You do not have to buy unwanted/unneeded items.

·
Registered
38 Posts
awesome, so I would have to purchase the kit, and then additionally a NM front sight? Can I still use the standard Socom rear with a NM front sight, or will I come into accuracy issues.
I'd like to know this too. I would like to upgrade to a GLFS from smith because I prefer the slimmer front sight post. But don't want to spend money on a rear sight right away if the standard socom rear sight won't work well with the upgraded front sight.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
can I just purchase a Smith enterprise NM front sight, or is the height different than the socom?
Too much of a height difference. Before I filed down my front sight, I had the Ulimak M8 rail on my Socom 16 and put a red dot scope to cowitness with the front blade. It helped the accuracy of the rifle but added weight. Price wise, the SEI set up can cost less if you piece parts out and save weight.

The other option I thought about after I filed the blade diameter down, I is to put a small "V" notch down the top of the blade. But I don't have another Socom front sight to see if that would work as well.

From what you posted the SEI set up would be best and www.Nokick.com you can get just the gas lock and mix and match suppressor/brake.

Glenn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.