M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you guys didn't read the thread by ArmedNerd I let him try out my M1A's and Garand last week. (hope he finds one that suits him by the way) I've spent the a lot of time last year behind the scope of my standard M1a working on accuacy with different loads for hunting and targets. I've only had the Socom for 3 weeks now. when I let ArmedNerd shoot the Socom I was standing slightly behind and beside him, every time it went off I could feel the concussion from that short barrel and brake working together. These are awesome rifles and for a completely different purpose than our standards and loaded models.Now after reading up on RAMMAC's work with his Socom and loads, and when I make the trip up Fred's for stocks and accessories this is going to be one Bad @#$ little rifle for a lot of different applications from deer and hogs down to home and farm protection. Folks just need to know these are great rifles for what they were intended. just thought I'd share this with you guys have a great day. P.S. If you have a Socom stand close to it while one of your buddies shoots it for the full experience of its firepower! I hope to have pics up very soon.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
After I finish my current JAE LR M14 project the next thing on the the books is putting my Socom in a McM MFS-14. The darn thing in its present form is still a bunch of fun to shoot. Only complaint is nighttime shooting with NVG the Socom is a bit of a dragon.

Reactions: kr308

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I love my Socom16! When I first got it, I was astounded at how effective the muzzle brake was... although I wouldn't want to be in the position on either side of me while shooting. It's as compact as my AR carbine or one of my short lever-actions, if not a bit heavy fully loaded, but carries the authority of the very versatile .30cal boolet.

What's not to like?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Socom

I continue to be surprised by how much I like this rifle. I've got an event coming up in a week and I'd been practicing with my Scout. In week 3 of preparation I decided I'd try the Socom. I'm still shooting it and 1 week to go. This is a Run & Gun. My Achilles heel is the 400 yd targets without supports. You gotta sling up. I have trouble there with my Leupold FXII @ fixed 2.5 on the Socom whereas my Scout has Leupold 1 to 4 and will score more hits @ 400yds. With that one exception, the Socom is the tool. It's a fast handling rifle with natural point-ability that is amazing.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
P.S. If you have a Socom stand close to it while one of your buddies shoots it for the full experience of its firepower!
I don't find the concussion and noise from a muzzle brake very pleasant. My regular shooting buddy has a big .308 SCAR with one and we make him set up as far away as possible from us when he brings it to the range.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
correct. I've shot one of my buddies socom several times. the socom really comes into its own with handloads tailored to reduce muzzle flash. shooting in low light or in confined spaces amplifies the muzzle blast/flash issues with the socom.

I prefer my scout/bush rifles. by using an sei coast guard muzzle brake I'm within 3/4" in length, don't lose the muzzle velocity due the loss 2" of barrel length nor the accuracy loss for the same reason. plus I can more readily use milsurp and other off the shelf 7.62 ammo, although I do reload. I can also use standard gas system parts. my buddy has actually gone to an 18" barrel length and doesn't bring out his socom very much.

one of my scout/bush rifles is set up with a choate folding stock which really makes for a handy package.

weight:

I didn't realize the socom II w/cluster rail was so heavy!! (borrowed from tonyben's post on m14 weights)

Complete Rifles:
Complete standard USGI M14/M1A, empty, no magazine: ~9.2 lbs. (U.S. Rifle 7.62MM, M14 and M14E2 Field Manual) (Wikipedia)
SOCOM 16 with standard SAI Scout rail and empty 10-rd mag: 8.8lbs (SAI website)
SOCOM II with VLTOR cluster rail and empty 10-rd mag: 10 lbs. (SAI website)
M1A Scout Squad with standard SAI Scout rail and empty 10-rd mag: 8.8 lbs. (SAI website)
M1A standard with current production synthetic stock and empty 10-rd mag: 8.8 lbs. (SAI website)

under 300yds. there probably won't be a noticeable difference in accuracy of the 16" vs other barrel lengths depending on the skill of the shooter.

·
Registered
241 Posts
firepower favorites

I can't decide. My competition is next weekend and I've been getting ready for a month now. I think the Scout is the winner and then I give the Socom another chance and it becomes the favorite. It's a 7 mile course and the Scout totes a bit easier than the Socom.

My Scout is still in an original plastic stock a wears a Leupold VXII Scout scope 1x4. It actually weighs 6 to 8 oz. less than my Socom. The Socom is in walnut and wears Leupold FXII. The Fixed power scope is 3 or 4 ounces heavier than the VXII.

The carrying issue is exaggerated by comparing the club to the spear, but the Scout over distance seems easier. CQB gives edge to Socom and 400 yd targets gives edge to Scout. I'm rechecking my zero on the Socom this weekend. This could change the balance once again.

I love these rifles.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't decide. My competition is next weekend and I've been getting ready for a month now. I think the Scout is the winner and then I give the Socom another chance and it becomes the favorite. It's a 7 mile course and the Scout totes a bit easier than the Socom.

My Scout is still in an original plastic stock a wears a Leupold VXII Scout scope 1x4. It actually weighs 6 to 8 oz. less than my Socom. The Socom is in walnut and wears Leupold FXII. The Fixed power scope is 3 or 4 ounces heavier than the VXII.

The carrying issue is exaggerated by comparing the club to the spear, but the Scout over distance seems easier. CQB gives edge to Socom and 400 yd targets gives edge to Scout. I'm rechecking my zero on the Socom this weekend. This could change the balance once again.

I love these rifles.
That is definitely a tough decision to make,hard to go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To enhance the "firepower" of my SOCOM I got a friend of mine to load me up a few of RAMMAC's special SOCOM loads using Hornady 150 gr SST bullets and 39.5 gr. IMR 3031 and tried them out this weekend.My groups shrank just as he discussed.If you have a SOCOM and hadn't already,you really need to check out RAMMAC's loadings. I can't post pic's of the targets from where I am,but my rifle likes this load very much, THX RAMMAC.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Thanks for the kind words gents, Glenn (geepee) and I have tinkered around the SOCOM a lot over the years, its been interesting to say the least.

My latest adjustment to the platform has been the result of me trying to get it as light as possible and this is where it stands now. 9.8 lbs and I could cut that a little by replacing the Ultimak rail with the M14ca version. The stock is one of the new carbon fiber units made by AG Composites, Dave Tandy is the guy that owns the company and he is a member of this forum. This stock dropped the weight of my setup by 3 lbs.

Reactions: geepee3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great weapons

Hi guys somewhat new to the site and find this place very interesting ! Yes I agree w/ you all . I just resently traded my socom2 w/ cluster rail for a scout . I really love the socom 2 a really good shooter and yes very load . The reason I traded it was for the 2" more barrel and weight and I really Love this pcs. ! I wished I could have kept the socom2 and buy the scout but I couldn't afford that . I got pretty good money for it and I was well pleased after finding out latter why , turns out it went up $400.00 sence I bought it and everyone wants one !! Maybe latter down the road I'll get another ?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Thank you gentlemen.

RAMMAC, The new carbon fiber stocked set up looks great.
I have had my rifle in the old SAI retreaded USGI stock for a while now.

And again, The front XS sight mod that has helped my accuracy with my Socom 16.

A NM front Scout sight and standard rear aperture has worked for many here on the Forum.

I have been loading between 123 gr. to 130 gr. projectiles out of my Socom lately.
The Lapua 123 gr. FMJ's basically make it a 7.62X39 mm on steroids.

For an up close and personal brush/hog rifle the Socom's a great choice.

Thanks.
Glenn

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Glenn, do you find your Socom is more or less accurate in the fiberglass vs walnut, or about the same? Mine has a distinct taste for the fiberglass...

Did you paint that? I prolly need to do something with mine to spruce it up a bit... ;)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Glenn, do you find your Socom is more or less accurate in the fiberglass vs walnut, or about the same? Mine has a distinct taste for the fiberglass...

Did you paint that? I prolly need to do something with mine to spruce it up a bit... ;)
My Socom is slightly more accurate in the walnut stock. But only about a 1/4" to 1/2" @ 100 yds. depending on the cartridge.

The stock I painted Foliage Green with Aervoe spray paint. And over sprayed it with Tamiya clear flat coat.
Summer with 90+ degree temps and a black stock can get a little rough when your dancing cheek to cheek.GI1

Glenn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts