M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would pass on my socom range report. Please keep in mind I am a rec. shooter and this is my first rifle. Bought it new in the box.

I went out with 60 rounds of Silver Bear 140 soft point ($4.97 a box). Did not need any windage adjustments and it zeroed in at 100 yards with 9 clicks up.

Firing in groups of 3, at 50 yards, seated, with sandbags on bench the best I was able to shoot was groups small enough that you could cover them with a golf ball. However I was only able to do this 3 of 7 groups, believe me it was not the rifle. This thing can shoot alot better than me.

At 100 yards, standing, using a Walmart $8 sling I was able keep my shot groups of 3 on 9 inch paper plates. Seated with sand bags my groups were under 5 inches. Out past 100 yards my 40 year old eyes are going to need a scope.

I am thinking with better ammo, a low power scope up front and lots of practice this will be a great 200-300 yard gun.

Break down and cleaning was a breeze.

What I don't like:
1. After about 50 rounds I felt the metal bracket on the end of the stock pushing into my shoulder (I am going to cut down a slip-on recoil pad and that should take care it).
2. I could of bought an AR15 and an AK47 + extras for what I paid for this gun, SA could of at least included a sling and cleaning kit.

Overall, for the kind of shooting I do I am very pleased with the SOCOM, it has quelled all my urges to go out and buy an AR15, AK47 or SKS or any short barrel bolt rifle.

This is definitely a keeper!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Thanks for the information

Thanks for all the information - I hope to have one by the end of the month! You answered a bunch of my questions......they look like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: socom rifle

fran odonnell said:
good luck with your new rifle my ffl here in pr has one arriving any day now ,i told him i want it will let you know how it shoots....
Where in PR are you at??

I was born there??

Do you know Humberto Diaz?? IPSC Shooter??

Y
:D :D :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
zSOCOM said:
What I don't like:
1. After about 50 rounds I felt the metal bracket on the end of the stock pushing into my shoulder (I am going to cut down a slip-on recoil pad and that should take care it).
Order a Ruber Butpad!!

Replace the Steel one with it!!

I just gave mine away last week :(

I culd have just given it to you!!

Y
:D :D :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
socom rifle

hey ysued i live in san juan in the caimito section, humberto diaz i dont know but i have a couple of friends here that shoot a lot of ipsic i will ask them if they know him and send a hello from you.the slip on recoil pad was good advice. i just got one in the mail that fits the m-14 and a couple of other rifles my 45 year old shoulders will thank me i am sure .also my ffl called today and the socom rifle is in i will be over at the store tomorrow to see it......good luck fran

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.