M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I joined the forum a while back. I recently acquired a SOCOM 16 and I have removed the forward scope mount from the barrel and replaced the handguard with a solid one that I got from Springfield Armory. The new handguard seems a bit flimsy, when I grab the gun in the forward area, it flexes and rubs against the stock. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there anywhere to get a stiffer handguard?

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Welcome from the So CA desert

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
The older military handguards were made from fiberglass and were quite a bit stronger but the newer ones are made of plastic.

It really doesn't matter which you use as long as the handguard can be moved forward and back and from side to side. What you don't want is a rock solid handguard that is fixed in position because it's tight against the stock, the receiver, or the front band.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How are you liking your SOCOM? I have a Standard with a walnut stock and I am wanting a SOCOM.

Just curious as to your satisfaction with it (other than the handguard issue).

Cheers!

Bill

·
Registered
765 Posts
You can use a rail if you want.
Ultimak
Vltor
KAC (Knights Armament) Maybe no longer produced

I have a used KAC on my SOCOM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your replies, i’m not sure how to reply to you individually. I really love this SOCOM 16, it is compact, only about 1-1/2 inches longer than my buddy’s AR and much more powerful. The way that Springfield designed the flash suppressor really cuts down on the muzzle rise.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Welcome.

I'd add the M14.ca 'scout Hand Guard' to the rail list as an alternative. Does weigh about twice as much as a 'regular' handguard, though, but that's not a lot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello everyone, I joined the forum a while back. I recently acquired a SOCOM 16 and I have removed the forward scope mount from the barrel and replaced the handguard with a solid one that I got from Springfield Armory. The new handguard seems a bit flimsy, when I grab the gun in the forward area, it flexes and rubs against the stock. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there anywhere to get a stiffer handguard?
post pics of yer rifle!
POPCORN1

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
The current SAI handguards are polymer, which will flex.

The handguards made in the 80's and 90's were a hard plastic. They didn't flex, but could crack with hard use. They are usually dark brown, with a DT number on the underside.

The early handguards were fiberglass, with a DT number on the underside and silver heat reflective paint.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you want a stiffer one, look for one of the older fiberglass ones and when you fit grind the edges so it makes no contact with the stock - etc...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts