M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of the box this rifle shoots hard left and extremely high. With windage all the way right the impact is almost on center at 25 meters.. With the elevation down all the way it still shoots 5" high at 25 meters. Needless to say I am not happy and the rifle is on it's way back to Springfield. To come out of the factory like this is unbelievable. Don't they shoot these rifles before shipping to prevent problems with their customers? This seems really out of wack to me, so I welcome any comments.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just got mine back last week. sent it in for safety bridge issues and bolt stop feeding issues. they replaced the receiver and barrel, test fired and even started to clean it, whatever kind of solvent they left in the bore left very very fine pitting on the left side of the bore and was slopped all over the front sight which now has bare metal splotches. i am very happy with my other SA products but the socom seems to be a problem child

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. and my other M1A is a fed ord.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Great. and my other M1A is a fed ord.
I've got a FedOrd M1 Garand... so I feel your pain.

I also have a Socom16... that has run like a top right out of the box (since 2007.) If you can get SAI to get it squared away for you, you'll be pleased, I think. I love my Socom.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I will post the results when it comes back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a Socom 16 and its excellent....no complaints, and have only heard good news until I read these posts.
Fired at least a thousand rounds through it maintaining 1 inch groups with ease at a hundred yards.
Luv my Socom 16.GI2

·
Registered
563 Posts
Out of the box this rifle shoots hard left and extremely high. With windage all the way right the impact is almost on center at 25 meters.. With the elevation down all the way it still shoots 5" high at 25 meters. Needless to say I am not happy and the rifle is on it's way back to Springfield. To come out of the factory like this is unbelievable. Don't they shoot these rifles before shipping to prevent problems with their customers? This seems really out of wack to me, so I welcome any comments.
I had to adjust the front sight, but no complaints otherwise. You could plainly see it was off center. I zero'd the iron sights no problem after that. What grain bullet did/do you use when shooting your SOCOM? I notice when I use anything higher grain than 150 the rounds start tracking high and to the right at 100 meters. The higher the grain the higher and to the right it goes on the target.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was also using 147 grains, but to shoot that high at 25 meters... the rifle is not right. they received it a week ago today so I will continue to wait. I don't like it, but I could go to the range and blow myself up with my Federal Ordnance M1A.dance2

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I called Tuesday, 10/11 and they (SA) said they would get right back to me after they contact the repair department. Here it is Friday afternoon and no contact. Maybe I am being impatient, but if they haven't looked at it yet, just call me and tell me that. I start to feel like a pest in these types of situations and I don't want to "trouble" them. I am beginning to think they are developing quality control issues....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got a call from SA. They are replacing the rifle. I knew I wasn't crazy with this thing, It was so far off it was unbelievable. Problem is they won't start production for a month on Socom 16's. Oh well, I will be happy to wait for another rifle as I had a bad feeling about this particular one. Should I call the dealer that sold it to me and let them know or just skip it?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I just got a call from SA. They are replacing the rifle. I knew I wasn't crazy with this thing, It was so far off it was unbelievable. Problem is they won't start production for a month on Socom 16's. Oh well, I will be happy to wait for another rifle as I had a bad feeling about this particular one. Should I call the dealer that sold it to me and let them know or just skip it?
You could mention it to them, just to let them know what action SAI took. I hope SAI makes it right and gets a good Socom to you...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am beginning to wonder if I have something like this going on with my socom?

Ok I only have a total of 47 rounds through the barrel.

The 1st 20 were all over the place & I was out of town & was not really properly prepared for shooting anyway. Then I found that the front post was loose.

(edit) Thought I might add that this socom came out of the SA box w/ trijicon front post

When I got home & carefully centered the front post went to the range I was still all over the place. Mostly 6<8" high right about 1 o'clock.

This after reading & rereading the chapter 2 Paragraph 15 of the TM 9-1005-223-12 manual & following it to zero my weapon.

Yesterday I fired 7 rounds @ 100 yrd with the rear app. set at 8 clicks above bottom. The ONLY bullet that hit the paper hit 1" left of dead center holding the front post at the very bottom edge of the 12x18 target.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
I am beginning to wonder if I have something like this going on with my socom?

Ok I only have a total of 47 rounds through the barrel.

The 1st 20 were all over the place & I was out of town & was not really properly prepared for shooting anyway. Then I found that the front post was loose.

(edit) Thought I might add that this socom came out of the SA box w/ trijicon front post

When I got home & carefully centered the front post went to the range I was still all over the place. Mostly 6<8" high right about 1 o'clock.

This after reading & rereading the chapter 2 Paragraph 15 of the TM 9-1005-223-12 manual & following it to zero my weapon.

Yesterday I fired 7 rounds @ 100 yrd with the rear app. set at 8 clicks above bottom. The ONLY bullet that hit the paper hit 1" left of dead center holding the front post at the very bottom edge of the 12x18 target.

Any thoughts anyone?
8 Clicks on mine is the 300 yard mark. Make adjustments with your elevation knob so it is dead on at 100 yds. Then follow the instructions to reset the knob so that the 100 yd mark is where your zero is (mine is 2 clicks up).

For windage, keep your rear dead center and move the the front sight as needed. Use the rear windage knob afterwards to correct for changes in the wind on a daily basis.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm probably going to step on some toes now... IMO opinion the sights on the SOCOM 16 are junk. The front sight post is way to thick, covers up to much area of the target at any decent distance. Basically, I was having the same problem trying to use the iron sights. I even had a conversation with the owner of Smith Enterprises, and he said the same thing about the sights on the SOCOM 16. I was relieved, because I thought there was something seriously wrong with my rifle. Once I put on a Aimpoint Micro T-1, and zeroing it, it shot really well. I now have a Sadlak "82nd Airborne" Steel Scope Mount paired with a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T M5 3.5-10x40mm on it, and I'm easily getting 1" MOA at 100 yards. I guess if you're wanting to keep the irons stock, then from what I'm reading these guys have a lot of good advice. Me personally going to go with some different ones, need to email SEI and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hope that all of these "issues" have been corrected by SA. Either in the already purchased guns or on the assembly of these beasts.

So crazy to hear of so many good and perfect SOCOMS and so many sub-par, might as well be baseball bat SOCOMS.

I will get home from my lengthy TDY on Thursday and head down to the FFL to pick up my SOCOM II. Shortly after I will be at the range sighting in the Aimpoint PRO with 400 rounds of WWB and 5 extra mags by my side. I hope to not have any issues with it.

Fingers crossed that I got a good one!!!

Robbie

·
Registered
27 Posts
8 Clicks on mine is the 300 yard mark. Make adjustments with your elevation knob so it is dead on at 100 yds. Then follow the instructions to reset the knob so that the 100 yd mark is where your zero is (mine is 2 clicks up).

Wow that is a little surprising. Ok KurtC
You got me thinking so since my memory is gone with my youth, I got the manual out again.

BTW: I'm not arguing about it. I actually don't know other than what I have read about how to zero an M1A. If you are zeroed at 2 clicks then you are zeroed. but this is what the manual says:

The following procedure will be preformed to zero the rifle at the distance of 100 meters with no wind blowing

1. Raise aperture from lowest position to 8 clicks elevation

So that's what I have been trying. Looks like I need to try going lower. Thanks for replying. It would sure beat having to send the gun to SA.

Hey it's an Army Manual not like they never make mistakes DI5

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
That manual is if you are starting from scratch. These rifles are zeroed before they leave the factory. You just have to adjust for your load.

Start with the 1 spot on the dial even with your tick line on the sight. Make adjustments to bring your rounds on target at 100 yds, then follow the directions so that the 1 spot on the dial is again even with the tick mark. (loosen the screw and turn the dial, then retighten the screw)

After that, when you want to shoot at 200 yards, turn the dial to 2, etc. etc.

It's not perfect, but it works well enough.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Any thoughts anyone?
Had an issue kind of like this on my SOCOM 16. For whatever reason, some of these rifles need a taller front sight post. Something like some measure .750 tall and actually need one measuring .800 tall. I called SAI and talked to them about it shooting high, they had me send my rifle in and fixed it free of charge. Total time without rifle was about a week. I for one can't vouch for Springfield's customer service enough. Got it back and shot it enough to know I am now hitting what I am at, but haven't tried grouping yet. Been working on the road too much this fall. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.