M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!

I've been planning to do my extra fiberglass stock in that pattern.
GI1

Btw, who makes that butt-pouch?
I bought it from M1Surplus on Amazon, but I don't recommend it. The cheek riser doesn't change anything, and the magazine pouch barely fits the magazine. Overall, the only thing it's good for is holding that nice ATACS flag. That saying "M1As aren't cheap, so don't put cheap stuff on it" applies here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
looks fantastic.

I wanted to have my rifle dipped in ATACS but the dipper i contacted said they dont use the pattern because the film is very thin. Plus it was going to be quite expensive.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks fantastic.

I wanted to have my rifle dipped in ATACS but the dipper i contacted said they dont use the pattern because the film is very thin. Plus it was going to be quite expensive.
Most dip jobs I find on the internet are $100 for a stock. GunSkins are $50.

Overall, I think a dip job is a better investment, but this is a fun DIY project, and if you are a decent artist this can look much better than my results.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Awesome!!!! It's good to see another fan of the Atacs AU on a socom! Yours looks nice and tan where as mine has a greener tint to it. I hope the next one I do turns out like yours.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Most dip jobs I find on the internet are $100 for a stock. GunSkins are $50.

Overall, I think a dip job is a better investment, but this is a fun DIY project, and if you are a decent artist this can look much better than my results.
You really thing somebody with more patience can get better results?

First off, I think yours looks great, even with the closeup areas of a few minor wrinkles and the patches. It certainly doesn't look bad, maybe not perfect, but I still think its awesome.

I do a ton of painting, masking, build lots of models, airbrush stuff, stencils and duracoat, 5 years of architecture school and model building under my belt, and artsy fartsy stuff like that.

I had already purchased a bunch of aervoe to paint my rifle again since i was not going to get it dipped (quoted $150 locally for the stock, cheek rest, and hand guard, and he said he'd throw a magazine in for free). I can save the aervoe and do a gunskins if you think its really possible to get it more precise with more patience and skill.

I'm just in love with the atacs pattern, and when i attempted to do something similar with paint, it didnt work so well on my first attempt....

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's definitely possible, and with your skill set Id be interested in seeing how it turns out.

Just to further illustrate my level of patience, I did everything in about an hour and thirty minutes. This project should've definitely taken A LOT more time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just to further illustrate my level of patience, I did everything in about an hour and thirty minutes. This project should've definitely taken A LOT more time.
I mean absolutely no offense by this, but....that makes me feel alot better haha.

If you got results that I would still be satisfied with in an hour and a half, i'm sure i'll be fine with the additional work.

I have done some fairly complicated duracoat stencil kits in the past over a whole long gun (including my M1A). The more recent one where I did an entire Mossberg 930SPX took a solid 8 hours start to finish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts