M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a cetme and an M1A with NM barrel i want another carbine length battle rifle in .308. been looking at a socom 16 and a FN SCAR .308.
The SCAR costs more but buy the time i put a Troy chasis on the socom 16 price will be comparable.. actually socom 16 will be more expensive.

Any experiance to compare to two or any thoughts.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
the SCAR is more comparable to a full length M1A

i would not choose the socom over the scar...

the 17s is a fine rifle.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I would vote for the scar but then again you could get a socom and a FAL and still have some $ left to buy mags and ammo. scars are way over priced IMO and mags are 50+$ but if you have the money Im sure you would be happy with it, I want one sooo f'n bad but will probably never buy one unless prices come more in line with what they actually cost to produce.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Some of the advantages of the SCAR are less weight, adjustable length of pull, folding butt stock, integrated rail system, and considerably less recoil. If none of that is a big deal to you, or you don't plan on putting optics on, then stick with the SOCOM 16 so you won't have to buy new accessories.

Reactions: captain_bob_badfish

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
the rogue makes the socom a good deal, but i'd go with the scout.

another plus to the socom is it is more politically correct.

i believe thats an issue in michigan right?

·
Registered
132 Posts
held a scar17 and fell in love. was about to trade out my scout squad and fn fiveseven to up the scar but didn't want to deal with hassle of selling. everything ive read says the scar17 is a great rifle and the only real issue is the magazine. there's a company building a lower that will accept more commonly available mags.

still would trade my scout for a 17 but right now just plan to keep the scout and try to get a 17 later. if I had the option to choose I would get the 17.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I would vote for the scar but then again you could get a socom and a FAL and still have some $ left to buy mags and ammo. scars are way over priced IMO and mags are 50+$ but if you have the money Im sure you would be happy with it, I want one sooo f'n bad but will probably never buy one unless prices come more in line with what they actually cost to produce.
Why the price may be high, and it is, two factors are driving the cost right now. The first was the R & D put into the rifle, and tow is supply and demand, until the market gets more saturated with them the price will remain the same.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Why the price may be high, and it is, two factors are driving the cost right now. The first was the R & D put into the rifle, and tow is supply and demand, until the market gets more saturated with them the price will remain the same.
That does make sense. However I have a feeling fn will keep the supply limited to keep prices and profit up. I dont see them ramping up production and flooding the market only to cut into their profit but I hope someday that does happen. Id be in the market for one at around 1800$ as thats what Id value them at considering the materials used to manufacture them but like you said there's alot more behind the HUGE price tag than materials and method of manufacturing

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I have to laugh...

One of my customers was grinding on what I recognized as a .308 mag of some sort. Turns out he has a SCAR and was modding up some Thermold mags (I think) by grinding down the width of them to fit the SCAR.

He let me hoist it around... it's a big rifle. ...but so is a Socom16 in a chassis.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I love my SOCOM 16 in the Vltor stock and rail but for the money just get the SCAR 17H and be done with it.

Now did they finally start making the magazines available because for the longest time they were rarer than an AR at a gunstore the day after the 2008 election.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not an owner and never even had the opportunity to hold one, really, but I read somewhere that someone was complaining about the folding stock not holding up that well under abuse. On the other hand, if you're not in the field with it every day, crawling through trenches and such, this will probably never be an issue. Other than that, I've never heard anything bad about them except for the price tag - but even that's not really impossible to reach.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I'm not an owner and never even had the opportunity to hold one, really, but I read somewhere that someone was complaining about the folding stock not holding up that well under abuse. On the other hand, if you're not in the field with it every day, crawling through trenches and such, this will probably never be an issue. Other than that, I've never heard anything bad about them except for the price tag - but even that's not really impossible to reach.
I've looked high and low for a first hand account, or even a picture of a broken SCAR stock and have yet to find one. Even at the FN forum no one can find a picture, just third hand rumors. IMO, the SCAR stock is no less rigid than that of a M4.

As for magazines, it was a concern of mine before I bought my SCAR. I placed an order for five from Botach back in May on a Monday, and received them that Friday. They were $35 each. That was back in May so I would guess that the supply is even better now.

Reactions: gimking

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
SCAR over an M1A if you can justify the cost. I have done the mag thing on another platform already, doesn't thrill me to try it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Socom runs like $1600 figure at least $800 for chassis, more like a grand. If I where to go sage even more money for scope mount. So I am thinking $2400 to $2800 for optic ready rifle... new FN SCAR would be around $2200. Of course mags are an issue for the SCAR. I was leaning towards the scar, and I think you guys confirmed it.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Scar 17 mags are about $35 and for the cost of a lower that will allow you to use $20 pmags you could buy 10-12 scar mags. Imo the M14 is like a classic Camaro, undeniably kickass and deadly in the hands of someone who can use it to its potential. But expect more maintenance, more fiddly adjustment, fewer options. The scar is like the Porsche or the Nissan GTR... Decades of technological advancements, materials, options, handling, etc. Both are exceptionally cool. Both will work. One may be easier to do certain things with.

Reactions: Veritas

·
Registered
453 Posts
Things I considered:

1. Price - Didn't go shopping for the SOCOM II, but found it for a stupid good deal. I have < $1,500 into mine the way it sits now. If you plan to pay retail/want a new gun/don't want to wait for a deal to come around, get the SCAR.

2. Accessories - already had a lot of magazines for it. Eliminated the need to buy and store more mags. Most part are interchangeable with the one I already have.

I like having 2 of everything including rifles, so it filled that niche. A SCAR will be a part of my collection eventually, just not anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.