M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I recently purchased my second of 2 Springfield Armory weapons (M1a Socom 16) and have been less than pleased with the manufacturing quality. I've put approximately 800 rounds through my new rifle and from the begining had feed problems when using a variety of new FMJ and soft point ammunition. At first I chalked this up to being a break-in problem but after 800 rounds I'm disappointed to report that the feeding problem is getting worse.

I took my rifle back to my gunsmith who promptly took it apart and compared it to a new M1a off the shelf and we immediately noticed the problem. Looking down into the receiver with the trigger and stock removed you can see that the bolt path on my receiver is not properly milled thus causing the bolt to hang when feeding a new round into the chamber. When running a finger over the path there is a noticeable increase in the amount of metal that feels like a bump just behind the bolt in the closed position.

I've included pictures of the problem with defective portion circled in red. I've never had to initiate a repair on any of my Springfield hardware and I'm pretty bummed out about the lack of attention to detail on Springfield's behalf. Has anyone else had this problem? How long does Springfield take repair?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I recently purchased my second of 2 Springfield Armory weapons (M1a Socom 16) and have been less than pleased with the manufacturing quality. I've put approximately 800 rounds through my new rifle and from the begining had feed problems when using a variety of new FMJ and soft point ammunition. At first I chalked this up to being a break-in problem but after 800 rounds I'm disappointed to report that the feeding problem is getting worse.

I took my rifle back to my gunsmith who promptly took it apart and compared it to a new M1a off the shelf and we immediately noticed the problem. Looking down into the receiver with the trigger and stock removed you can see that the bolt path on my receiver is not properly milled thus causing the bolt to hang when feeding a new round into the chamber. When running a finger over the path there is a noticeable increase in the amount of metal that feels like a bump just behind the bolt in the closed position.

I've included pictures of the problem with defective portion circled in red. I've never had to initiate a repair on any of my Springfield hardware and I'm pretty bummed out about the lack of attention to detail on Springfield's behalf. Has anyone else had this problem? How long does Springfield take repair?
I am sure that they will make it right, they do stand behind their product. Call them and they will give you a shipping label to send it back to them. Usually the turn around time is pretty fast (although, you shouldn't have to send it back in the first place). Their customer service is usually excellent.
Good luck with your rifle and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
If your the original purchaser just send it back, they'll fix the problem.
Even if you aren't the original purchaser, they will likely fix it. Replaced my barrel under warranty, on a 10yr old 2nd hand rifle.

I seem to recall that they recommend against the use of soft point ammo in their rifles, but thats another topic. Depending on what they decide is the issue, I'd be surprised if they will do machine work on the receiver. More than likely, if they feel thats the issue, they'd just replace the receiver..... in that case it would likely have to be shipped back to you via a FFL rather than directly to your door.

Either way, give them a call.

Folks will be curious to know what ammo and what magazines you are running.

·
Registered
41 Posts
M1A Monk,

Thanks for the pics. I've been buying SA products for a long time (mostly pistols). Their warranty goes with the gun, not the owner.

Give them a call and start from there. You should get a label. For some reason, I have a feeling your feeding issue is not related to your receiver (though I'm only a newbie to the M1a platform). After they clean up the receiver a little; there may be other work involved also (tight extractor? need chamber reaming?).

Please let us know the outcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.