M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on mounting a Trijicon RMR on my socom using the Hopco mount (replaces rear sight/housing).

I want to completely remove my front sight too since it will be useless.
I know I can just pull the sight off via allen screw but can I get a gas lock that will allow me to install a muzzle break/comp but NO front sight dovetail?

Does that make sense? I need a gas lock with a thread adapter but no dove tail for a front sight.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wouldn't the gas lock from a VORTEC setup work? I'm not sure off hand, but I'm pretty sure you can pull this off. I had one, sold it for the USGI Flash Suppressor. John Wolfe has my rifle now, or I'd go look.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the dovetail remains. I was hoping to find a model without it.

The dovetail doesn't interfere with aiming at all but I'm being a purist with this setup. No unnecessary snag points or exposed edges like an unused dovetail. Plus, I think it would look nice too.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What if....

What if I cut the gas cylinder lock in half, keeping only the portion that is secured behind the gas plug, and used a muzzle brake that had the 40 TPI and a crush washer?

This would eliminate the need for a unitized gas cylinder if the brake can keep tight enough pressure on the band/cylinder, AND the gas plug can be adjusted separate from the muzzle.
If you use shims, the size of the shim needed could often be too big making a gas leak between gas cylinder and lock. This would eliminate that.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I considered it myself. Don't see why not. It would be great to see some pics if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be more realistic to cut and grind a 20$ part than a 150$ part too. I'll see if I can get the brake machined for me and go from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts