M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new in box Springfield SOCOM 16, all factory stock and equipment, and I have a question for others about what sight picture it takes for others to get on target with their rifle. Mine seems to shoot high with the iron sights and a scope. The Irons are the factory tall XS sight and large aperture rear sight.

With my SOCOM in order to keep from hitting WAY HIGH with the iron sights I have to have the rear sight adjusted all the way down. Then I have to basically bury the front sight in the rear aperture to get on target at 25, 50, or 100 yards.

To define bury, the bottom of the front post is at the bottom of the rear aperture and the top of the front sight post is only about 1/4 of the way up (not centered in the aperture at all.) So the top of the front post is only about half way to the center of the aperture.

Windage is not a problem. It's great.

I have an AR and for POA to = POI you put the top of the front post in the center of the rear aperture. No problem.

Now I can accept that fact with the SOCOM irons and adjust my sight picture for what what it's purpose is but this next part makes me wonder. I don't want to compare apples and oranges but with the scope I put on it shoots way high also.

Here's my scope setup. I put a SA aluminum gen 4 scope mount on the side. It is parallel with the barrel front to back, level with the front rail that comes on the gun, centered over barrel vertically. Sighted it in using the irons at first and then proceeded to the range to check it out. It shoots 3-4 MOA consistently with mil surplus ammo which I'm happy about. Mount is holding tight and I'm pleased. BUT I have maxed out my Leupold scope and it's still impacting 9 inches high at 100 yards. About 30 inches at the scopes factory zero MOA setting.

Basically the scope and the Iron sights centered sight picture match and the bullet point of impact matches only the impact is high.

Side note. The same scope and rings work well on my AR and only takes about 4 MOA vertical adjustment for POA to = POI at 100 yards.

I've read some of the other post regarding this but I'm wondering is it possible that I have a real defect? Or are there a sequence of things I can check that may resolve my high impact issue? Clearance, fit, etc… of any part. I feel like I'm missing something that may be an easy obvious fix.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Try adjusting your rear sight up. When adjusting rear sights the aimed point of impact gets shifted down when the apiture goes up and when it goes down the apoi goes up. Think of the sights as a lever and the front sight as the fulcrum so up is down, down is up, right is left, and left is right.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Try adjusting your rear sight up. When adjusting rear sights the aimed point of impact gets shifted down when the apiture goes up and when it goes down the apoi goes up. Think of the sights as a lever and the front sight as the fulcrum so up is down, down is up, right is left, and left is right.
That would shift the POI even higher. If it's hitting high bottomed out you need a taller front sight or adjust the tail on the aperture.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I may not have been too clear (I had to think myself about how it would read) I had to bottom the rear out to even get on paper. Before that every shot was over the top.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the SOCOM 16 original stock sights do/did you guys have to bottom them out in the rear aperture to get on target? If so I can deal with that (for the moment anyway)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Do you have the walnut SA stock? Mine was shooting two feet high at 100 meters with the rear sight bottomed out. Put her in a fiberglass GI stock, problem solved.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have the walnut SA stock? Mine was shooting two feet high at 100 meters with the rear sight bottomed out. Put her in a fiberglass GI stock, problem solved.
Nope. It's not in a walnut stock. It's in the factory black composite stock.

Today I did pull the receiver. The plastic hand guard was rubbing the stock and it was long and pressing on the receiver. I did some relief sanding to clear that up and allow space between the hand guard and the stock and receiver. It looks good now.

Also the barrel was contacting the stock on the left side where the forward rail attaches to the barrel. I relieved the stock a small amount on the left side so that the rail mounting doesn't ride the stock any more. All clear now.

The Op rod was rubbing the forward stock where the studs for the sling come through the bottom. You could feel it when you let the action go forward slowly and you could see it in the stock. Relieved that also so no more Op rod rubbing now. The barrel is basically free floating now as much as possible. Looks cleaner too.

Went to the range to see if it made any difference. Nada. Same thing, shoots high. Scope is still the same also, maxed out vertically. Next time I may remove the receiver scope mount and put the scope on the forward rail to see what results I get. That may help isolate any mount issues. I would like to try a red dot on the forward rail to see if I have issues with one but I don't have one of those.

I will say though this rifle is fun to shoot. While I was there I did burn through a box of ammo. After figuring out how low to bury the sights I can hit what I want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts