M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOCOM 16 RANGE REPORT:
I finally had the time and the right weather conditions to wring this sucker out at the range.
1) As far as reliabilty goes I have now put a little over 210 rounds through it and all fed and fired perfectly. I tried as many different varieties as possible, surplus such as - Portuguese, South African, Australian, and Sellier & Bellot. I even tried some Winchester silvertips and they all fed and fired with no jams or misfires.
As far as accuracy goes I averaged right around 2" groups at 100 yards with the iron sights, the tightest shot with the Portuguese, and the largest group with the S&B for some reason. As far as velocity loss with the short 16" barrel, I chrono'ed numerous strings and they averaged right at 2475 fps., the hottest being the S&B at about 50fps. more.
I will try it out again next weekend or sooner if I can get on the department range sometime this week. Hope this helps those that are considering this rifle. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm diggin' on one of these big. I tell my wife to check at wal mart, BJ's, Michaels.... "Remember Hon, it's the SOCOM model!"

Anyways, it's good to see you're shooting groups that good.

How would you characterize the recoil and muzzle jump? How long to reacquire a sight picture for a followup?

Thanks,

--Fargo007

·
Registered
795 Posts
I am a return user of the M1A's and I too want a Socom.. Got a real treat yesterday... I met up with a forum member and got to shoot both the Scout and Socom side by side... The Socom is a blast to shoot and my inexperienced eyes "sights" and ears could not really see/hear a difference.. The Socom did have a noticeable less felt recoil and follow up shot... I am getting one ASAP... My thanks to gpdude... This guy rocks...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as the recoil goes it really isn't that bad. Muzzle jump is hardly anything. I think S.A. did a fantastic job on the muzzle break. Shooting offhand the muzzle rise is noticeable, compared to say an AR-15, but with a little practice I had the sight picture back in quick order. You will be amazed how quick you can get back on target.
Now if I can just get that linked ammo to feed better... :)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Magpie,

I got to test shoot a SOCOM yesterday and it was simply amazing! The rifle being so short was very quick to point. The muzzle brake was also very effective... there was very little muzzle flip, the blast was NOT earthshaking! To say the least, I was impressed with the SOCOM and envy those who already have them.

The only thing I had to get used to was the "new" and quick acquisition sighting system. The front sight was thick with a large aperture rear sight... almost like a ghost ring setup. I guess I am too used to the standard or NM M14 sight setup... but it did lend to quick pickup of targets without "losing" the front sight.

Lucky you and all the other SOCOM owners...

Aloha and Happy Holidays!

Tom O.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love that little thing. Personally I think it kicks less than my AR (14.5 bbl with FH). The sights are super easy to use and allow for quick target aquisition. If I didn't already have a full size M1A I would consider getting a socom. I am probably the only person here that believes one M1A is enough. :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
esskay said:
scottinhawaii said:
If I didn't already have a full size M1A I would consider getting a socom. I am probably the only person here that believes one M1A is enough. :p
8O WAAHH, HUH, WHAT?!! Blasphemy! 8O
I also said I would never buy another rifle after my AR but then I watched too much blackhawk down 8) .

·
Registered
137 Posts
I also said I would never buy another rifle after my AR but then I watched too much blackhawk down 8)

... I thought I was the only one that watched that movie three times a week.

Tears of the Sun is another good "gun cleaning DVD."

--Fargo007 8)

·
Registered
35 Posts
fargo007 said:
I also said I would never buy another rifle after my AR but then I watched too much blackhawk down 8)

--Fargo007 8)
Until you realize their aimpoints are mounted backwards the whole movie and you have rode your bike through the areas they filmed the movie. :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sure, there's lots of weapon mistakes in movies.

We could have a whole thread on faulty firearms portrayal.

Like in Black Hawk Down....

The guy shooting the M60 left handed.... Yep.. Try that sometime.

He's got his right hand over both the ejection port and the link chute of the feed tray.

The Delta guy with the M14 is seen shooting right handed a split second before he fires another shot..... lefty.

Another one is in FMJ. The crazy guy shoots three VC, and takes the M16 off his shoulder to admire his work... The charging handle is hanging loose.

Overall, when I see so much lefty action I come out of the film somewhat because I see them as actors portraying a character rather than the character themselves. I'm actually lefty, but I shoot righty cause that's how I was taught.

--Fargo007

·
Registered
980 Posts
scottinhawaii said:
fargo007 said:

--Fargo007 8)
Until you realize their aimpoints are mounted backwards the whole movie and you have rode your bike through the areas they filmed the movie. :p
I was wondering why you can't see anyone surifing out at Rainbows in the background. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.