M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. Been awhile since I have posted on the firing line. My interests went elsewhere for awhile as I got into bowhunting and dropped quite a bit of time and money into getting into the sport.. Needless to say two years into bowhunting and it has proven extremely fun and I had a very productive season putting three deer into the freezer.

But I digress, now to my other passion, a desire to own a SOCOM 16 in a Troy CQB MCS platform. I been doing my homework and have read some backposts on the differences between the SOCOM and other M14 platforms.. If I read correctly then the only functioning difference is the gas lock/ muzzle brake system. The actual gas system is the same, other then the gas plug also carries more volume. I also thought I read somewhere the operating rod is different, being shorter then the normal setup.. Is it??

My question comes in because I believe you get what you pay for and I am looking at the fulton armory rifles over the SAI ones. What can anyone tell me about the quality of the Fultons over the SAI's. If I'm correct in looking at the fulton platform, it seems like it is vastly superior to the SAI one.. If I buy the fulton what do I need to buy from SAI to make it a SOCOM configuration. I already planned on buying the SEI SOCOM front gas lock and vortex flash suppressor, or the coast gaurd break. I will also need the gas plug from SEI correct. I'm just thinking it may be alittle more expensive on the front end but any parts I don't use from the fulton setup will be spare for afterwards which is okay. I plan on trying to own a M14 in a all three barrel lengths so the extra parts will be good to have later on.

Whats anyones thoughts or ideas on this matter??

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hello from behind the lines!

Good Morning, congrats on the successful Deer season!

The Op Rod is the same, when my SOCOM Op Rod cracked I sent it back to SA to have it replaced with a regular one, so it didnt read SOCOM 16 on the side - (which I replaced with a USGI Op Rod to make sure it never happened again!)

As for the SEI Gas Lock, just like you I am trapped behind enemy lines. Be careful of the Dreaded Flash Suppressor, for it is evil and makes your rifle a tool of the devil. I believe the Chassis system you have is Pistol Gripped, and with a detachable Mag, your rifle would be the Devil encarnate.

I have the SEI Gas Lock on my SOCOM and in the M14E2 Stock (pistol grip) I run the Troy Medieval Muzzle Brake. So the Coastie brake would be just fine. I would hate for you to go through all the work and have someone blow the whistle.

I cant speak on the Fulton question, but Im sure someone here will, and Welcome back to the Forum!

Charles "Chip" Pinder

·
Registered
984 Posts
I changed my standard M-14 type to a 16" barrel. The only thing I changed was the barrel, muzzle devise, and sights.

The op rod and gas plug came off of the standard rifle.

It worked fine and I had not a single problem with the rifle functioning.

HTH

pg
USA2

·
Registered
320 Posts
Fulton Armory receivers I believe are forged vs Springfield Cast.

Not sure how you define Quality.... Not break? Shoots when you pull the trigger? No sharp edges, trigger job, GI parts?

I think Fulton may give a little more attention to a rifle before it is shipped. But Springfield's lifetime warranty does mean they will fix any issues for free forever. Some choose to fix things themselves to insure use of USGI parts etc to insure no further issues.

I have a Socom16 and have Zero issues and I bought it the first year it came out. Thousands of rounds through it. Love it.

Choice is yours. But yes the 16 " barrel requires the modified gas/valve system and special front sights unless you go with the SAI gas system which allows the use of a stock front sight and any muzzle brakes/flash hiders.

Check local laws with regards to the number of Evil devil features allowed. The Socoms night sights count as 1, detachable magazine as another, so I cannot add any other evil features, such as front grip or flash hider here in California. Your state may allow more mods.

Just be sure you do not run afoul of some LEO due to a grip making it an assault weapon that controls your mind and forces you to go in shooting sprees.. ROFL...

Either way I think you will be good, Enjoy...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what intrigued me most about the fulton platforms.. Forged receiver, bolt, op rod, all USGI or USGI spec parts, etc.. I forgot about the the SAI lifetime warrenty tho, so will have to put that into account on my decision also. Anymore information on the matter is greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Fulton Receivers

Fulton Armory receivers are cast and not forged, they seem like a decent receiver for the money, my opinion of course.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Alpha Wolf, please tell me more about the night sights being an evil feature.
I am unaware of this.
pg
USA2

·
Banned
951 Posts
re...sgtPinder post

I posted here a few weeks back about my SOCOM's oprod rubbing against the receiver. Had a "ding" aft of the Rad relief cut. I replaced it with a 7.62mm oprod (exact machined as a GI rod)....no rub. Folks blasted me for bad mouthing SAI for poor parts quality. My obs are: *hitcan the JUNK SAI oprod, trigger pac. and bolt IF its not a "F" code SAI (F is Forged and good to go). Factory trigger pac hammers are not forged as I read.The rifle is quick to point...well balanced and will hit a target with ease to 300yds.USAF2

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
You can't shoot a warranty

That's what intrigued me most about the fulton platforms.. Forged receiver, bolt, op rod, all USGI or USGI spec parts, etc.. I forgot about the the SAI lifetime warrenty tho, so will have to put that into account on my decision also. Anymore information on the matter is greatly appreciated..
I have a SOCOM II. Only about 300 rounds through it with no trouble so far. I sold the rails and have a GI hand guard. I shimed the gas system because it was loosening after each range session and the front sight goes loose with it.

I enjoy the rifle very much but I would not be influenced by SAI's lifetime warranty in your situation. I didn't want to buy it but the political winds being what they were/are I thought it prudent. I bought mine for SHTF. I don't think my warranty will do me much good in that scenario.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't have a SOCOM and can't speak to the gas system or CA laws. I do have a Fulton rifle, it was my first M14. They claim to build each rifle one at a time with great attention to detail - and that is my experience. It is very accurate and has excellent workmanship. I also have other M14's built by some of the site sponsors which were also built with individual attention to detail, including one built on a Springfield receiver. Fulton is not your only option for your project, but I am pleased with their quality. When I bought that first M14 from Fulton I had no idea how habit forming it would be:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts