M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Background: I have recently inherited an M1A SOCOM 16 from my grandfather who recently passed away. I am looking at using this rifle for hog (this summer and fall) and deer hunting this season as well. I have plenty of experience with the M16/M4A1 platform and regular bolt action rifles, but none with the M1A series rifles.

I attempted to zero the irons at 100m, but I’m shooting high 3” with not tight groups even With the Rear aperture sight Bottomed all the way out.
1.) Can you direct me to some resources that explain like I’m 5 how to zero my rifle at 100m or higher, and

2.) in case I want to get a scope or red dot, what do you recommend?

Any help is appreciated! Glad to share my first post here.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The Front sight may have been changed at some point to a STD M14 Sight or something else . Do you have the forward Rail Mount on the Barrel ? I had a Red Dot on mine for a while & I was quite impressed with it , group wise @ 100 yards . I installed a Scope with Gen 4 SAI Mount ,because I was testing ammo & wanted to see how well they did . Plenty on the SOCOM here with the exact issue you are having .

I had a Vortex Red Dot on that forward Rail .

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I had to put a M79 front sight on my SOCOM to correct the same issue. The stock front sight is too short and this is a common issue from what I've learned.

You can also get the gas lock from SEI and throw a standard or NM front sight on there and that will fix the issue as well.

Or just go with optics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Front sight may have been changed at some point to a STD M14 Sight or something else . Do you have the forward Rail Mount on the Barrel ? I had a Red Dot on mine for a while & I was quite impressed with it , group wise @ 100 yards . I installed a Scope with Gen 4 SAI Mount ,because I was testing ammo & wanted to see how well they did . Plenty on the SOCOM here with the exact issue you are having .

I had a Vortex Red Dot on that forward Rail .
Yeah, it has the factory trijicon front sight post. Wife and short. No doubt my grandpa did nothing with it after he bought it and just shoved it in a safe with the rest of his rifles - I’m sure I was the first to fire it other than the factory QAQC guy. Good to know nonetheless. Will check out getting a taller front sight and check out the red dots / scope options too. I have a vortex red dot on my AR and love the thing. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
All,

Background: I have recently inherited an M1A SOCOM 16 from my grandfather who recently passed away. I am looking at using this rifle for hog (this summer and fall) and deer hunting this season as well. I have plenty of experience with the M16/M4A1 platform and regular bolt action rifles, but none with the M1A series rifles.

I attempted to zero the irons at 100m, but I’m shooting high 3” with not tight groups even With the Rear aperture sight Bottomed all the way out.
1.) Can you direct me to some resources that explain like I’m 5 how to zero my rifle at 100m or higher, and

2.) in case I want to get a scope or red dot, what do you recommend?

Any help is appreciated! Glad to share my first post here.
That big ghost ring rear sight is part of your accuracy problem. You might want to opt for a standard .069" aperture.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
That big ghost ring rear sight is part of your accuracy problem. You might want to opt for a standard .069" aperture.
I agree. The large aperture on the SOCOM 16 rear sight is intended for CQB but not good for precision. A standard rear sight is a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
For a red dot I'm partial to a version of the Holosun with the 65 MOA circle.

For optics, I prefer something mounted to the receiver. Plenty of nice scopes, over a very wide range of budget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts