M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping for the benefit of your folks experience.
I read about the modified shotshell trick for bore guides on m14 style muzzle breaks, is there a similar hack for the cheapskate SOCOM 16 owner for keeping the cleaning rod from rubbing against the crown or bore at the muzzle?

I have the gas hole from the barrel lined up with the hole in the gas cylinder ring but now there is a large gap between the stock and the front band. Is this an assembly mistake on my part or should I not sweat it, "around 1/32 inch"?

Do you who own the SOCOM 16 worry about solvent or clp ruining your Trijicon glow-in-the-dark front sight?

Do you keep the action closed to prevent dog/cat hair and dust from infiltrating the action? If so, how do you get that tenth round in the ten round Springfield magazine and the magazine seated without having to force it and denting that tenth round?

·
Super Moderator
11,378 Posts
I think you can order a custom guide. Call Dewey and tell them your situation. You can also just use an Otis and clean from chamber to muzzle.

You'd have to have a pretty bad fur problem for it to affect reliability of your rifle, but I'm sure it's annoying.

Tony.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Get raven brand gloves. You get the benefits of nitrile gloves without that premenopausal Germaphobe look.

Just kidding!

·
Registered
406 Posts
hoping for the benefit of your folks experience.
I read about the modified shotshell trick for bore guides on m14 style muzzle breaks, is there a similar hack for the cheapskate SOCOM 16 owner for keeping the cleaning rod from rubbing against the crown or bore at the muzzle?
I’ve never worried about this myself.
I have the gas hole from the barrel lined up with the hole in the gas cylinder ring but now there is a large gap between the stock and the front band. Is this an assembly mistake on my part or should I not sweat it, "around 1/32 inch"?
My S/A composite stock didn’t line up the best either. I wouldn’t sweat it.

Do you who own the SOCOM 16 worry about solvent or clp ruining your Trijicon glow-in-the-dark front sight?
Nope. It takes more than cleaning exposure to some solvents to muck up one of their night sights. You would need to try a little harder than just a casual cleaning accident to cause harm. I’ve grown less and less keen on the Socom front sight the more I use the gun at night.

Do you keep the action closed to prevent dog/cat hair and dust from infiltrating the action? If so, how do you get that tenth round in the ten round Springfield magazine and the magazine seated without having to force it and denting that tenth round?
Yes. I usually keep my rifle action closed on empty chamber. As to the ten round mag, my house maintains a strict ban on low capacity magazines.DISHOUT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings, all...

Since this is kind of a SOCOM16 questions thread... I'll chime in with a few..

Bipod mounts... Is it normal for the front sling mount to be riveted in?
If so, are there any recommendations for a swivel mount with which to replace it?

Is it normal for the stripper clip guide to not have a bottom hole to knock the pin out of, so I can throw on a standard scope mount?

(not that I want to, but out of curiosity) is it possible to replace the break on the end of the muzzle? what steps are needed? (google fu failed me in this endeavor)

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
You should clean the bore from breach to muzzle. Insert a bare rod (brass or fiberglass) down the bore. Screw your brush/patch on at the breach. Pull out towards the muzzle. Never push anything thru the bore from the muzzle end. Boresnakes work great.

The gap between the stock ferrule and front is often on the large side. As long as the ferrule is still sitting on the band lip, your OK, just don't do any bayonet drills.

There is no need to use solvents on an M14. The issue CLP works fine and won't harm tritium inserts.

The rifle should be stored with the bolt closed, so the spring is at rest. The easiest way to insert a full magazine is to do it with an open bolt. If one is in the habit of inserting magazines with a closed bolt, it is not uncommon to load the mag with one less round.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Mods

Smurf answered well to original OP.

Answers to 1in12:
1. All USGI stocks have the front swivel riveted. Versa-pod makes a great rail w/swivel that can replace the factory install. A flashlight can be easily attached if a bipod is not preferred.
2. No it is not normal for no hole to go all the way thru receiver.
3. There are a number of companies that make breaks/FHs for SOCOMS; SEI is one of them.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Oh Gawd a spring troll climbs out from under a rock

You should clean the bore from breach to muzzle. Insert a bare rod (brass or fiberglass) down the bore. Screw your brush/patch on at the breach. Pull out towards the muzzle. Never push anything thru the bore from the muzzle end. Boresnakes work great.

The gap between the stock ferrule and front is often on the large side. As long as the ferrule is still sitting on the band lip, your OK, just don't do any bayonet drills.

There is no need to use solvents on an M14. The issue CLP works fine and won't harm tritium inserts.
The rifle should be stored with the bolt closed, so the spring is at rest. The easiest way to insert a full magazine is to do it with an open bolt. If one is in the habit of inserting magazines with a closed bolt, it is not uncommon to load the mag with one less round.
Ah grasshoppa you forgetting Mr. Migagi advice on springs:

Compressed spring OK.
Relaxed spring OK.
Compress relax, compress relax, compress relax spring get hard like morning wood!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.