M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, brand new to the site and did some looking but didn't find what I was looking for, hope I didn't miss it. I'm looking to purchase either a socom 16 or a socom 2. I love the simplicity of the socom 16 but I'm not sure if it can accommodate the accessories I'm wanting to put on it. Fairly simple, I want a scope with bipod and sling. But the option of a forward mounted night optic, but keep use of the iron sights with "shoot through" scope mounts. I've been looking on and off for about a year and to be honest, the more I look the more confused I get about what I can slap on and what I need adapters for and what have you. I know the socom 2 has the rail system with plenty of space for everything I want but it just looks ugly IMO. I guess simply put, can the socom 16 accommodate the accessories I want without any kind Of a chassis overhaul. Thank you I'm advance for any feedback

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,436 Posts
You'll need the Socom II unless you get a Socom 16 and have the sling swivel removed and replace it with a Sadlak heavy duty front rail or Versa-Pod rail to mount the bipod. The hole at the very front underside of the stock by the ferrule is not to mount a boss for a bipod, it needs to remain open.
You could also go with a Socom 16 and change the stock completely to one more modern with rails on it that looks better than the rail system on the Socom II.
m14brian

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Are you intending to mount a scope in the scout style (over the barrel)?
Is the night optic in addition to a standard scope or the only optic?
What is the intended purpose for your rifle?

Reactions: MAC702

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes scout style scope, night optic is additional, forward mounted of scope. And would use primarily as a hunting rifle, night optic would be fore coyotes and wolves.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Put a scope mount on the receiver, your nv on the scout rail...
Wont work, most likely.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The socom II is significantly heavyer than the socom 16 by almost 4 pounds and it's all in the front. For me it was a no brainer I could have a rifle that looked cool or I could have a rifle that I could hold strait.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My opinion is that less is more sometimes. I would start with the Socom 16. You will need to do something with the factory stock so that you can add a rail on the bottom.

Add 1 accessory at a time and validate that it works toward your goal.

What kind of ranges do you plan on being confident with?

In my experience, in the midwest a bipod can be useful, but most hunting situations seem to be outside the working range of the bipod no matter what you try. Just my opinion, for what it is worth(its free, so you can't ask for much).

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Yes scout style scope, night optic is additional, forward mounted of scope. And would use primarily as a hunting rifle, night optic would be fore coyotes and wolves.

That's what I was guessing at how you intended to use the setup.

I've got a SOCOM 16 for the reason that spartin mentioned, weight. The SOCOM II rails are just too much of a good thing, the mass and weight make the rifle too heavy and unmanageable.

I modified my rifle by adding the Ultimak M8 rail as a replacement for the hand guard, at the time it was the lowest rail made, even lower than the stock mount but now I consider the M14.ca rail a good option too. Both are very low, both give you mounting points along the entire length of the barrel, both are well made, and both mount well on the barrel.

The problem you are going to have is matching the center-line of the optics and getting a proper cheek weld. The rear mount will probably move the center-line of the rear optic device higher than the front optic device. What ever NVD you use will probably need a riser. As for a cheek riser, you will absolutely need one if you want consistency and the best possible group sizes. I recommend either the Bradley cheek rest or one of the kydex types that you drill holes through the stock to mount. Any other option will move under recoil, trust me, I've gone this path and went crazy trying to find something that works.

I also think that you are going to run in to problems finding a way to use the iron sights with this kind of setup though because of the riser you will need for the forward mount, but only when using the NVD. Sadlak's receiver mount will allow you to see through it for iron sight use but only if your optic uses an objective lens of 50mm or less. Larger objective bells sit so close to the top of the barrel that they block the view of the front sight.

As for a bipod rail, I added a Versa Pod rail to one of my stocks and it works very well but I'd recommend the Sadlak; the Sadlak reinforces the mounting point a bit better. The problem here is that the fore end of the stock can flex, depending on the kind of stock you use (the standard Springfield plastic stock is the worst). Some people get around that problem by buying a better stock and others reinforce the fore end with aluminum arrow shafts and epoxy along the inside.

My ultimate solution was to put a JAE stock on the rifle along with the Ultimak rail, that allows me to add or remove optics as needed and it includes a bottom rail for the bipod and an adjustable cheek rest with a quick release lever. With my setup and a set of quick release optic rings, I can remove my optics and use my iron sights like normal with very little effort. What's more, I can put my optics back on and be within an MOA out to about 200 yards, if I want any better accuracy after reinstalling the optics I have to re-zero.

This is my basic setup right now but I have other optics and devices that I can switch on to the rifle at will.

I don't use a NVD but if I did I would probably use a device with a magnifier so that I could put both on the Ultimak rail and eliminate the axis offset problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input guys. Startin to put some ideas together :) anything else anyone wants to input is more than welcome

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. Startin to put some ideas together :) anything else anyone wants to input is more than welcome

You've come to the right place. RAMMAC is one of the most knowledgeable members here. Especially with the short rifle.

The beauty is, no two need to be alike. You'll decide what works best for you and when you do put your rifle together, be sure and share some pics. GI2

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
The beauty is, no two need to be alike. You'll decide what works best for you and when you do put your rifle together, be sure and share some pics. GI2
Absolutely, everybody's rifle needs to fit the owner's needs, not be a clone of someone else's rifle.

·
Registered
443 Posts
One thing to note about the socom is that it is simply not designed for long range shooting. It has a light weight barrel profile and most socom owners have a hard time getting under 3moa from their rifles, some like me and RAMMAC have gotten lucky frankly and are able to shoot close to 1 moa groups. Socoms where designed as a light weight carbine that packs a hell of a punch.
From how you discribe what you plan on doing with your rifle (turning it into a sniper rifle) you might as well start with a rifle that you can get precision from. I'd look at a rifle with a full length barrel and at least a standerd contour. The m14 bipods work very well and attach to the gas block, the scope mounts that attach to the reciver have already proven themselves.
I can tell you from experience that you can't get a "everything" rifle there is no assault-sniper rifle. That being said I certainly do wish you luck with your project and I know you'd be happy with any m14 type rifle.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't consider my rifle's performance luck, it was hard work, research, and testing. Anybody can get the same results but they have to use a little technical know how and be ready to admit that the shooter is most often the biggest problem.

Reactions: m14brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for all the information! I was unaware the the top of the stock was replaceable with other rails. That will make things much easier. Thinking I'll go with the socom 16 and get a top rail long enough for a scout scope and forward mounted NVD, then a bipod with a sling loop. Has anyone built a rifle with similar specs without changing the whole chassis? Thanks again for everything guys. I'm definitely on the right track now

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh and to clarify, I don't intent to shoot further than 300 yards maximum, and that would be for my own challenge, don't Forster shooting over 200 while hunting around where I live north eastern Minnesota. Lots of trees lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
doing some more research i think i found what im looking for. start with socom 16 rifle. add on fulton armory "gen 3 scout rail handguard" and "M14 M1A TreelineM14 Front Sling Swivel Kit with QD Stud" from treelinem14.com looks as thought i could still use the iron sights with the fulton handguard with the right scope mounts. also GG&G makes a very nice scout scope mount if i was to stay away from a forward mounted NVD...... thoughts and comments?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts